RAM and usable memory?

hi , I have laptop with windows 10 pro x64 and problem is that RAM is only usable 1.83 out of 2.00 how I can fix that ? this lack of memory creates a lot of obstacles that disturbs me while working.

P.S processor intel 1.10 ghz

Hi. Apparently it runs the 64bit Windows 19 version, so it should be a dual-core processor of some kind at the 1.1Ghz speed.

This is going to be an "add more RAM from Amazon for cheap" issue, try for 2x 2Gb sticks, should run about $25US for the right kind by the model.

The next step is to definitely downgrade to Win7 as mentioned, it was designed to run the systems with those specs, & stick with the 32bit version - there's more software available that's compatible with 32bit OS versions than having to install extra software to run it on a 64bit OS.

Once You're running a 4Gb system with Win7, You should actually find all necessary hardware drivers for it, save all software installers You need, & then burn a copy of a live bootable linux OS like Puppy linux ... You would then boot from the burned CDR & run all internet functions & browing thru the linux OS.

This will keep You from getting viruses in the Win7 system. Even if You use porn sites.

G'Luck!!!

• Roddy

As others have said:

1. 2GB total RAM is not enough for any of today's operating systems, you need to upgrade to at least 4GB.

2. Some RAM is always reserved by the System for its own use and thus is not available for you to use - hence the difference between 2GB of total RAM and 1.83GB of available RAM.

The main issue is that you only have 2 GB of RAM. That little amount of RAM will seriously hinder performance as the other answers mention. Even if you got your full 2 GB back, it wouldn't really help much. At the absolute least, I would consider upgrading to a minimum of 4GB, 6-8 is preferred.

• Bill-M

Some RAM is Reserved.   You need to UPGRADE your RAM to 4GB.   2GB is not enough for Windows 10.

With any laptop or desktop that's running the Integrated Graphics, a small portion of the RAM will be reserved for the iGPU. Then you will have a smaller portion that's reserved for the system. The laptop I'm currently using has 8gb of RAM but only 7.8gb are available.

Windows 10 will barely run with 2g of RAM. So having that extra 170mb available won't do much to help you. You either need to upgrade the RAM to 4gb or just get a new laptop. If you upgrade the RAM and you're running a 32-bit version of Windows 10, then you will only have 3.5gb that's usable.

When I look up an Intel CPU that's clocked at 1.1ghz, I find an old 2nd Generation Celeron dual-core CPU that was released back in 2011. I can't imagine you being able to do much with a CPU like that. Even a modern day Skylake/Coffee Lake CPU clocked at 1.1ghz would struggle. If you upgrade the RAM, the CPU is then going to be the bottleneck.

You could roll back the system to Windows 7 but then you face security issues once Microsoft drops support for Windows 7 next January.

The laptop you have is barely fit for web-surfing, I can't imagine you doing any sort of productivity work with it. You really should look at getting a modern laptop.

Some of the memory is reserved for system purposes, like I/O mapping or video. If you have a problem with 1.83 GB, the problem will not be fixed by having 2.00 GB.

What model exactly is your laptop? If you can upgrade the memory to more, that will probably help if you have memory issues.

Performance issues in general could be all sorts of things. If the laptop came from an earlier era, it might just not be very powerful by today's standards. If it came with Windows 10 installed by the manufacturer (look for a license sticker, sometimes underneath or under the battery), it may be loaded with all kinds of diagnostic software that is constantly running and stealing performance. I know for sure that both HP and Dell do this.