Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 8 months ago

Do you really believe chefs personally picks out the "finest ingredients?"?

I imagine people have an impression from TV commercials most likely of a chef personally walking into a farmer's market and sniffing and fondling all his ingredients.

Do you think that or do you know the truth?

• james

Here many café owners go to the public market. They do pick out the best for price that goes into the food there establishment serves. They many times are chefs. As they do go to school to be one & have a degree as a chef. Also business management. & service. They then give there selection to there cook to prepare. They do not trust others for this. As others don't care. & will add bad produce & such to what they would just fill a order with. That increases food waste & cost. So most will hand select look over what they are buying.

Yes, most chefs are specific about the quality of their ingredients. Unfortunately there are many who refer to themselves as chefs, who are simply cooks, and many haven’t a clue.

Chefs love doing that. Have you known any? But the ones who have TV shows are prob too busy. Still, bet a lot of them do, because that's how they get ideas for what to make.

I think they pick where things are sourced from if they own the restaurant but no way is a chef going to pick each tomato by hand.

depends on the restaurant. When I was a chef, I was in charge of ordering the food I used and consulted with my food service provider about what to buy, what was in season, what was in season but not very good, what was really good, etc.

Some chefs in very expensive exclusive restaurants in areas where a farmers market has a huge variety do shop for themselves for special recipes or special evenings cooking.

I would guess that for tv shows or commercials, it would not really matter.  BUT, for high end (aka Expensive) Restaurants , I would think they would choose quality products.  AND for well known (aka rich) chefs, they would buy high end ingredients for their family at home.  

Not usually no. I don't think that people believe they do.

• hamel5

I was in the business for 20 yrs and never saw a chef do that on a regular basis. Sure, he or she may visit a farm once in a while - but, they don't have time to "shop" In upscale restaurants, they pick good vendors and trust them until they screw up . And, price is always important because the margins are thin.

good ones do that---but if you've ever seen kitchen nightmares----not so much!

It is true that many chefs do that.