Does this NJ law regarding sec deposit return apply to me?

I moved from apt due to flooding from rain which was coming into my apt and flooding my kitchen,causing mold!I was forced out,and my LL has agreed to give me sec deposit!I just found out that theres a NJ statute that says they have FIVE days,not 30 if i had to vacate due to flooding?But theres 2 parts to it.First part says i am entitled to a.the tenant is caused to be displaced by fire, flood, condemnation, or evacuation!But the other part says an officer or whoever posts something on the door that states its uninhabitable?HERES THE STATUTE! A.. tenant is caused to be displaced by fire, flood, condemnation, or evacuation, and

B..an authorized public official posts the premises with a notice prohibiting occupancy! Does it apply to me if no one post anything,but i was displaced due to flooding!Do BOTH have to apply?

You did not have a flood, as defined by the law...you have a water damage situation from rain...that's not a flood.

You've already asked this question...the term AND applies in that both need to be satisfied. Without an official notice declaring the property uninhabitable...you have absolutely no recourse under this particular law...period. The situation is irrelevant if the house has not been deemed uninhabitable by the applicable housing authority.

Both have to apply that is why it says AND.

Yes it does. If a public agency did not rule the place uninhabitable, the landlord has 30 days.

I recommend that you contact the courts in your area or a lawyer, get as much as possible in writing.

• R P

Yes, both apply. Your unit was not condemned by a public health official, so you aren't entitled to your deposit in 5 days.

Yes, both need to apply.  That is what "AND" means.

Both need to occur. You are not eligible for the money within 5 days. Also, if you are the one who posted earlier about 1" of water on the floor, then then they can withhold money for other damages, if any occurred. For example: a cracked countertop which has nothing to do with the flooding.

• Judy

sounds like they'd BOTH have to apply. You were not by law "forced out'

Both do not have to apply. It's either A OR B, both are not required.

You already asked this .Go back and look at all the helpful answers you received.