How do I save DVDs onto laptop?

Hi I'm moving from an island to the mainland and want to make my stuff as light as possible (cheaper) and I realized if I could save all my movies onto my laptop I could save like 30lbs.. any suggestions on how I can do this?

I copy all my DVD onto my computer, then reduce it to 500kbps at 360P. May not be high-def, but all 3 of The Matrix takes less then 2 gig.

Not sure how many times I had to replace a DVD because of a single scratch, but now I can watch the movies and the DVD stay safe in their cases.

• art

well the way I do it (with home made family movies) is to put the DVD in the drive, and then open the dvd image on the my computer page drag the contents of the drive onto the desktop, you can buy professional progams to basically do the same thing like "handbrake"

but you do realise that many movies are 4.7 GB in size - that will soon fill up your hard disk, you can buy a plug in external hard disk just for the movies though

if your hard disk fails (which will eventually will) then you will lose ALL of your DVDs forever

most DVDs have protection agaist copying built in to them

it will take about an hour to copy just one movie onto your hard drive (maybe more)

it would be eaiser just to take the DVDs with you

if you type this question on the search bar it might show you how to do it

You can rip your movies. I use Handbrake. It is a very good and free open source program that is used to transcode video files, but it can rip movies as well. However, by default it will not rip copy-protected movies (which are pretty much all movies) but there are many guides on how to get around this.

Just be advised that ripping movies can take a long time depending on your laptop's hardware and how large the movie is. It may take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or longer per movie so just be prepared for a lot of work. Also, make sure you have enough space on your laptop's hard drive. If not, you can save them to an external hard drive.

if you type this on the searchbar it might show you how to do it

• keerok

Convert everything, one by one. It's a tedious task - easier to just download new copies instead.

the easy way to download a DVD onto your laptop is to insert the DVD into your drive then open my computer where you can see your drives right click on your DVD drive. And click open. you will be able to see the contents of your DVD drive as a file. simply copy and paste the contents of the drive into a folder and name the folder with the same name as the DVD . You should be able to play the contents with any DVD software including VLC media player Windows 10 no longer has a DVD player

• David

Generally will only work for non-encrypted DVDs. Most commercial movie DVDs have copy protection.