No guests allowed?

My roommate told me I am not allowed to have ANY guests EVER yet he frequently has guests over. I asked him why the 'no visitors' rule and he said he doesn't want his stuff (bicycle was his main concern) to be stolen. He has multiple security camps up for that reason. I told him that my friends aren't thieves and his response was that he worries that one of them may tell someone who is a thief that he has a nice bike and they'll come back to take it. How friggin lame, I know..His paranoia has completely hindered my social life. What should I do?

Move out is what you should do. Are you on the lease?

• PAMELA

Move! he has no right to tell you who you can have as a guest, that is up to the landlord, if you wants guests have guests!!! but i would start to look for somewhere else to live.

You can move out

you can tell him you will be looking to move out as it is unfair to pay rent and not have friends over when there is cameras all over to catch anyone who is stealing anything. A

How stupid is this? How about you just say "no", or does he not "allow" you to speak?

Is the roommate also your landlord? You pay rent directly to him and he is not a go-between with you and the true landlord? Or do you have a rental agreement with an actual landlord?

Because, if you are both tenants with a landlord, the roommate has ZERO say in the matter. You both have equal rights as tenants.

If you are essentially the roommate's tenant, then the roommate has a little more authority, but not much. The roommate/landlord cannot legally deny you having guests. This violated your right to 'quiet enjoyment' of YOUR home.

He may RESTRICT the number of nights you have overnight guests, bur he cannot legally deny you from having people over.

So, give him three choices:

1. Tell him to let you out of the agreement without financial penalty to you.

2. Tell him to try to evict you for exercising your legal right to have guests come to visit.

3. Shut up and leave you alone.

maybe you should move out

You might want to remind your roommate that you are not a dependent child---you are a co-equal adult occupant with the same rights and privileges as the roommate.

Do not be on the defensive---just invite your friend(s) as you see fit and eventually your roommate will adjust. If he does not like you exercising your tenant rights, he can give notice and move.

Does your roommate own the property? Is he the one officially renting it?

Technically you are may be a tenant. If there is no lease there may be default laws about what you can do. Check with your city, county, or state.

• TB12

I would suggest you find another place to live.