Right to refuse service?

Earlier today had a reservation for a storage unit. I walked in and told the woman at the front desk I had a reservation. She asked my name, looked on her computer and said she didn’t see anything. I told her I have the confirmation in my email, she didn’t care to look and said to come back tomorrow. I started expressing how I drove all the way there in the uhaul already and it’s packed to the max. With growing frustration I asked for a supervisor, she then said “I won’t be renting a storage unit to you and get out” I asked why she said because I was being “rude.” I then said I’m not leaving until I speak to someone higher up than you. She responds with “I’m calling the police”.....

The police come and diffuse the situation, told me all businesses have a right to refuse service. Is this a legal refusal or discrimination?? Please help!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

A business can refuse to serve anyone. They don't need a reason. However, if it can be proven that they illegally discriminated based upon your apparent membership of a "protected class" (i.e., due to your religion or race or gender), they can be sued for damages, assuming you can prove any. They STILL do not have to serve you, although they may have to close the business to avoid ongoing fines.

• 2 months ago

Any business has the right to refuse service for any reason other than things like "because you're black".

Put it this way, you don't have to do business with them. They don't have to do business with you.

Nothing you describe indicates any kind of discrimination.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

It's "discrimination" in the sense that that clerk chose not to do business withe the OP. Not all discrimination is illegal.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Nothing you mentioned is illegal.

Discrimination is when they treat you different because you are part of a protected class (race, religion, nationality, etc). Being rude is not a protected class.

• 2 months ago

Completely legal.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Yeti
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's only "discrimination" if they're refusing you service based on your membership in a protected class, such as due to your race. You've provided nothing that would imply illegal discrimination was occurring.

You haven't provided any details about why you thought you had a reservation in the first place. It sounds like you showed up some place that didn't have it in the system. Perhaps you made it for another location, or another start date.

Most people renting storage units have to show up and do paperwork, etc., anyway before they can start moving in. It's kind of foolish for you just to show up with a full truck when you hadn't done any paperwork yet.

I guess you can pull out whatever you have that makes you think you have a reservation and read it. I bet there's some fine print that says they have to phone you back to confirm your request and if they have units available, or similar.

• 2 months ago

It's probably legal.

If the reason was your race, religion, gender, etc., then it would be illegal.

But if they would have told you to wait a day anyway, and the reason they ultimately refused service was becaus you wouldn't wait, that's legal.

Businesses have the right to refuse service -- unless it is for an illegal reason.

If the reservation was an enforceable contract, then you might be able to sue for breach of contract. However, at this point, I think you'd just be entitled to damages for the one day delay, not for the permanent refusal, because that was your fault for saying you wouldn't leave.

• 2 months ago

All businesses have the right to refuse service unless it based on discrimination against a federally=protected class of people. Proving that is difficult.

• 2 months ago

@ Nuff Sed You don't understand how that works.

Yes, they can refuse service unless it involves discriminating against a protected class of people.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

They can refuse service to anyone for any reason. Some reasons might get them sued for damages, but they still don't have to give you the services.

• Jahal
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

She's either a nutjob or a bigot.

• Stoo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You're only telling your side of the situation. Given you weren't in her system, you're not even a customer. Who knows why you weren't there - could be their problem but also could be an idiot move on your part.

Still, yelling at a front-line worker isn't going to solve much. If she could just generate a reservation she probably would have, unless you insisted about being a toxic cûnt about it first. The moment you get hostile you're shown the door. Don't like that, stop being a toxic cûnt.

Pretty sure that email would have had a phone number to call. So call that and sort it out instead of picking fights, which is all I see here.

• DearSummer2 months agoReport

I’m just looking for answers. Sorry if I came off as a “toxic ****” 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.