My laptop device manager shows storage devices connecting and disconnecting randomly without having any actual device connected to it why?

You can also hear the connected and disconnecting sounds play as it does this. It does it randomly on its own but it does it very very very frequently. Approximately 8 times per minute sometimes and sometimes only a couple but it is very annoying. I think it is the USB port that is causing the trouble I did however... show more You can also hear the connected and disconnecting sounds play as it does this. It does it randomly on its own but it does it very very very frequently. Approximately 8 times per minute sometimes and sometimes only a couple but it is very annoying. I think it is the USB port that is causing the trouble I did however disconnect the ribbon to two of the USB ports to see if they were causing the issue but that didn't help. Another weird thing is that any device I actually DO connect to the USB ports actually does work in any of the three USB ports.
About the laptop, it is a Compaq CQ57 that had an AMD 1.0 Ghz dual core CPU. Being so underpowered I figured it needed a motherboard upgrade. I replaced it with an HP 2000 Notebook MOBO. I also upgraded the CPU to an I5 2540M @ 2.6 Ghz and I dropped in 8 GIGs of RAM. It would be a perfectly fine working laptop if it weren't for that issue. everything else is fine with it. I have the same results whether I use Windows 7 or 10, or Linux. Waiting to hear thoughts and thanks in advance!