What is the proper way to deal with my realtor who gave out the lock box combination to my home?

l

.I am selling my home . My real estate agent let prospective buyers who had already signed a purchase agreement into my home without her being present. I told her I did not want them coming to my house . I had no idea they were coming over unattended . I could tell they were here because lights were left on and blinds were cinched up. She even admitted it when I confronted her.

. they ve backed out of the deal. Apparently they said it smells like cat pee. As a seller what should I do ? I feel violated and to add insult to an injury my house is still for sale

• B

chances are the 'prospective buyers' were just cold feet and any excuse to back out.

make sure your place is fresh smelling, with hidden room deodorants.

look at changing agents if possible when your contract expires

• zipper

Contact the area BBB and police, he is not suppose to give that info out. Also get some lysol and spray the house from top to bottom. I f you have a cat, see if someone will take it until house is sold. Or a cat kennel.

If its any consolation it sounds like the buyers were having cold feet and very likely would've back out no matter what. This is, still, very unprofessional of the realtor. I would simply tell them not to do that again under any circumstances but if it really bothers you then you can ask them to release you from the listing contract and that you will find another realtor.

If they refuse to release you then call their broker and complain and I suspect they'll make sure the contract is ended very quickly.

• P

I would meet with the realtor in person and tell them unless they sign off their contractual obligations immediately you will file complaints with the appropriate agencies against them.  Then I would hire someone new.

• Judy

I'd complain to the head of the agency.

I am not convinced from the way you have worded this that the agent did anything wrong.

You say 'prospective' buyers who signed a purchase agreement. You did NOT say you accepted the agreement and the agreement was affirmed by lawyers for both sides. If those things did not happen, then there was no contract and the buyers can change their mind.

You also did not say who brought the buyer. Did your agent bring the buyer or did another agent bring the buyer? It's important. Because if another agent brought the buyer, is representing them, that agent has every right to use the lockbox without your agent being present. That's what lockboxes are for, to allow for more efficient use of EVERYBODY's time. If that other agent allowed their buyer in by giving them the key or a code, and did not accompany the buyer, then you have an ethics complaint against THAT agent, not yours - but if the contract was not finalized before the 'smell' was discovered, it doesn't matter - the buyers can change their minds and walk awy for any reason, provided their attorney has not already approved the contract on their behalf.

If your agent brought the buyer and the buyer went in unescorted by your agent, then you have an ethics complaint against your agent. The local real estate board can deal with that. You don't have any grounds for a lawsuit against the agent if the deal died. You may have grounds for a lawsuit against the buyer, if the contract was valid and they breached it. That's for YOUR lawyer to look into.

When I was selling, there were no electronic lockboxes. All agents were given a master key, by their brokers, that would open any lockbox used in the MLS. If you left that brokerage, you turned it in. I had a key and I showed many a property using that key, and I also used lockboxes on some listings. And no one ever had a problem. No one was stupid enough to give their key to a potential buyer.

If they made an offer and you accepted then the house should be off the market. The box should be removed until the sale is final. Tell your realtor to remove it and give you the key back. If they refuse, ask your realtor the name of their lawyer.

Report the agent to the local Realtors association.  This is probably a violation of the Code of Ethics 3-9.

• Eva

Go to your agent's supervisor and complain. Demand a new lock box. Make it clear that no one is to be given the code to the lock box. Does your home smell like cat pee? Get your carpets professionally cleaned. It won't help if the smell is in the padding. You may have to have all the carpets and pads removed and flooring replaced. Laminate or vinyl plank is popular now.

Fire the agent and find a new agent who only uses a Supra Key Box (special key box that only opens with a special electronic key that only agent's hold).