Should I get a ticket for this? Traffic ticket.?

I was coming up to a stop sign and I noticed a car behind me coming in really fast and was about to hit me. I stopped 2-3 feet in front of the stop sign. The sign was also pushed back further than normal. (30 feet from the intersection) It didn’t have a stop line as well. There may have been trees blocking the view a little as well, but I will go back and take pictures first thing tomorrow. I’ve gotten one ticket for speeding 6 miles over the speed limit. I’m really a safe driver, but I was trying to protect my car from being hit. If I wouldn’t have nudged up, I would have been rear ended for sure. What do you guys think?

There may have been trees blocking the view a little as well, but I will go back and take pictures first thing tomorrow.

BS. If you weren't making things up. You would know it there were trees BEFORE you saw the stop sign.

A Hunch is correct that the officer CLEARLY doesn't think passing the sign was necessary to avoid being hit. Your comment to his answer is BS. If the officer even TRIED to stop them, you would have been long gone before the officer even looked for you.

• Bruce

The placement of the sign is irrelevant.

If there is a stop line, you stop before it. If there is no stop line but a crosswalk, you stop before it. If there is no stop line and no crosswalk, you stop before the intersection.

If the car didn't hit you, your defense probably will not work.

It is possible that you may have done the safest thing to avoid an accident and still violated a traffic law.

If that's what happened, Well Done! and good luck in court. (Its probably not going to be a happy event.)

You are required to stop at the stop sign. Not in front of the stop sign.

If you didn't and got a ticket, you deserve it.

You have no idea the breaking capabilities of the car behind you.

If you received a violation, the officer did not agree that your driving was necessary to avoid an accident.

• P C8 months agoReport

I didn’t mention this, but the car behind me got a ticket as well for swerving into the opposite lane to miss hitting me. So yeah I may have been able to stop at the stop sign, but why should I trust the person behind me to come to a complete stop?

So ... what was the violation you were ticketed for?

• P C8 months agoReport

Not stopping at the stop sign exactly lined up or behind the stop sign