If you apply for section 8 and qualify for it and have it what happens if you plan on moving to another city ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Section 8 is disbursed 1st by state then by county. Not typically at the city level. If you are moving to a city in the same county then it should not be a problem. If you are changing counties or even states then the transfer has to be approved & there is no guarantee they will do so. If they do not allow you to port your voucher than you will have to completely re- apply in the new county or state if applicable.

You need to go to the housing authority for your county to double check. The only 100% correct answer will be directly from the housing authority.

Source(s): Worked with Section 8 tenants a lot through the years. All vouchers I have ever seen have been by county. Never heard of any by city but suppose it is possible.
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

The city you are leaving needs to allow it to port out and the city you are moving to needs to allow it to port in.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Even though this is a federal program, it's run by states and counties. You'd have to re-apply for the benefits, and nobody can guess what will happen. It would help to know if another state is involved, because in that case, you'd definitely to go the end of the line. In states where a lot of people are moving there (like CO), this could involve years. The money's running out.

You need to call social services in the city you want to move to. Nobody here can guess.

• 8 months ago

vouchers are good for a specific area, i think in my state it covers the whole state (i'm not sure though). if your voucher is only good for 1 city, you have to apply to 'port' it to the other area...

or you can get roommates and support yourselves, and not have kids you can't afford....unless there is a REAL necessity you have your own place (ie medical issues, you are widowed with kids)

if the new area doesn't allow porting, they likely aren't taking new applicants...

and if the new area is more expensive, the voucher may not cover the rent

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Back of the line...each wait list is different...they don't coordinate or "transfer" your spot.

• 8 months ago

In that case, you generally have to start all over again

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.