How to go over speed cushions?

So I just moved into a new neighborhood and it's got a lot of speed cushions. They are positioned weirdly, so in order to make sure all 4 tires go over the cushion you gotta drive dangerously close to the mailboxes. Is there a difference between just letting one side of the car go over (2 tires) it vs the whole car (4 tires)?

Also, the sign says 20mph. That seems fast for me I usually do 8~12. Should I go 20?

Speed cushions in my neighborhood are positioned for one side runover, while most of the speed bumps in shopping areas cover the entire road so you're forced to go over with the whole car. So, that's where the confusion comes from.

• Neil

It is best to go over speed cushions off-centre, with two wheels over the centre of the cushion, and two on the normal road surface.

Straddling the cushion, so that all 4 tyres are on the sides of the cushion, causes wear to the inside edges of the tyres, and due to it being the inside the wear is easily missed leading to unsafe tyres. Straddling can also put unusual transverse loading onto the suspension and steering components, leading to premature failure.

20 is the fastest you can safely go over them and not lose control- as long as your car is in good condition.

• Edna

If I understand what you're calling 'speed cushions": In my state, they're popularly called "rumble strips". It's a thin strip of serrated concrete that is positioned on the far right side of the road. It is not to be driven on. It's main purpose is to drain rain water off the roadway. It also serves as a warning to you that your car is drifting off the far right-side of the roadway. The noise your tire makes when it's on one of those "rumble strips' will CERTAINLY warn you. The noise can even wake you up, if you go to sleep while you're driving.

If you find yourself driving onto one of them, just keep your right front tire on it, until you can safely pull back onto the roadway. Do NOT try to straddle it with all 4 tires. If you do, your car will then be completely off the roadway. Don 't ever slam on your brakes, if you accidently drift onto one - it can throw you all over the road if you do so. Your tires have next-to-no traction when you're on one of those things.

If a sign says "20 mph", that's the maximum rate of speed you'll allowed to travel in that area. It doesn't mean you HAVE to travel 20 mph - it means you can't go any FASTER than 20 mph.

" the sign says 20mph"

OK. Another explanation for the terminally stupid.

THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT IS NOT THE MANDATORY SPEED TO DRIVE, IT'S THE MAXIMUM LEGAL SPEED.

• Ron

Why the hell do you need to go over them with all four tires? Are you an idiot?

• Alex8 months agoReport

You have 30,000 answers on this site. Are you?

• Snezzy

Maybe do like I do when pulling a horse trailer. I'll go about 2 mph so as not to upset the horses. The people behind me then crowd my trailer as if they are asking for a load of fresh fertilizer, or else they pull out (unsafely) past me and zip over the bumps on the oncoming traffic side of the road, honking at me. 

If we are in Massachusetts the drivers behind me sometimes weave from side to side (indicating that I am going too slowly for their taste) or even speed up and slow down repeatedly, to show that they feel like ramming my slow and ugly horse trailer with their pristine BMWs.

In Massachusetts the difference between a horse and a BMW is that the horse's rectal aperture is on the outside. 

You are different than most. Most people will hit them at 35kmhr and will hug one side of the road, depending on if the bump is lower or non existant on one side.

I like those ones you can straddle without having to slow down.

Source(s): nothing

You go over them with just one side, don't straddle them with all four wheels. Doing the latter can, in extremis, cause unnecessary tire and suspension wear. The only vehicles that can successfully straddle speed cushions are those with a wide enough track, such as trucks, ambulances, fire trucks etc. They are there to slow down the average car.