I am a file clerk at a firm. How do I approach HR manager about employee who either doesn't speak/understand English, or is a little "slow"?

Please note the following:

1. While I was at the messenger center of loading dock, an employee showed me package for my company that was sitting in messenger ctr. for hours. He said he called our mailroom twice, and that "Jane" (my co-worker) picked up the phone. But throughout the day when I came there, she never informed me. So maybe she didn't understand what the guy from messenger center was saying, but played along, anyway. FYI, she has a computer, but never sends e-mails. Also, the person who's stationed in the mailroom with her, uses a walkie-talkie to communicate with me and file clerks. He leaves before her, but turns off walkie instead of Jane using it in his absence. And she picks up is phone in his absence, since she doesn't have one.

2. When I come to mailroom, she'll point at her computer regarding e-mail that she wants me read. Also when I come there, she'll sometimes happen to be on phone with messenger ctr. and hand me phone. This obviously means she would've asked me to take that call she got about that package in the messenger center, if she was lucky enough for me to walk in the mailroom at that very moment. But since I wasn't, she cluelessly relayed no message.

She's VERY quiet and speaks in broken sentences, to the point where I can't understand her. And sometimes when I ask her something, she responds with confusion. What should I do? I don't want to sound insensitive, but she makes my job difficult to comprehend/work with her.

Never assume that she doesn't understand her job. ONLY report the facts to HR - the fact that she failed to inform you verbally or in any way, never sends you emails to inform you..., etc. And the result if hours go by before x person informs you or you go looking for something that you should have had hours ago.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

Have you tried doubling up on your meds?

just tell them what you told us

• Bort

Don't say anything about the language barrier because she doesn't speak English. Speaking English may not be a requirement by policy. Just simply verbally express a complaint to HR that she makes your job and duties substantially more difficult because she doesn't do her assigned duties including communicate when things arrive that you need to know about to do your duties.

Don't be the only one to complain. Ask your other file clerk co-workers how they feel about her and if they agree ask them for their support by asking them to also verbally complain the same way to HR about her. You don't and nobody else wants their complaint in writing if they can avoid putting it in writing just simply because then theirs a trace-able trail of who the snitches and cry babies are.

If multiple people complain and nothing is done about it or it continues after you're sure HR met with her to at least coach her then multiple people need to formally complain in writing to HR which forces HR to have to do something about it.

(meet with and coach her again if that's what they choose).

If it just doesn't stop this lady has to go. She's disrupting the efficiency of the entire process because she's not fulfilling her duties. The previous sentence is how you should similarly word the complaint in writing. 'Please address and resolve this issue. A team member, [Name], is disrupting the efficiency of our process and production quotas because they are not fulfilling their duties.'

Mind your own damn business.

Yawn...You need new material.

You spam this repeatedly, Troll.

That is up to “Jane’s” supervisor. Butt out.

Ask the fake HR department if your fake medical insurance has mental health coverage.

If only we had a dollar for every fake law firm clerk question you've posted...