Kelley asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

if a colt is gelded after his testicles descend,and his gelding was complete(he wasn't proud cut by the vet),will he try to service mares?

I ask bc my riding instructor's confidence horse is a gelding that was proud cut by the vet,and as soon as it was ok to release him back with his herd, he promptly ran over and tried to service a mare.

I had a gelding who was too interested in mares. At shows I would have to put some vics vapo rub in his nose, so that he could not smell them. If he smelled a mare in heat, he would get a massive woody...not to be crude. He would bow his neck and loose all focus at our job at hand. It did not help that a boarder decided to take a shortcut through his field, with her mare. She lost control of her mare, and let her go. As I pulled in the driveway, he was on top of the mare and serviced her. Never the less, once we got him off of her, we continued with our plan to go trail riding together...LOLI have no idea if he was proud cut or not. He was studdish the entire 8 years that I owned him...it never went away.

• ?1 month agoReport

Do you think he was lying

• Jeff

I have had geldings that had sexual experience stay "interested " for years. They drop, worry about mares and act studdy. But the can't do much about it.

There is no way to predict that. Some geldings do.

Some geldings do. Heck, some mares do.

They get excited, they get up, they look baffled, and they get down. No big deal.

• Amber

Some geldings do. But they tend to give up a lot easier.

How does your instructor know that her horse was proud cut? Has she had him evaluated by a different vet? Or is she just assuming that this happened, based on what she's seen him do? Because in most normal cases, geldings will lose interest in studly behavior as soon as their hormone levels drop following the surgery. This can take a few weeks, though.

For the first coupe weeks he may still have testosterone running through him, after that he should stop when al the hormones are gone.

We had a pony stallion that was gelded and cut proper, he was very interested in the mares in season for the first the first coupe weeks, after that he lost interest in trying to mate with and was more interested in playing with the foals and eating.

Mares don’t let anyone service them unless they are in heat.

• Tony

speaking from first hand experience, huh?

Not without hormones, no.

• Frank

No hormones to motivate...NOPE.