Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesDodge · 2 months ago

Engine swap?

Looking to do an engine swap in my 1986 Dodge DAKOTA Sport, 2 wheel drive. Right now it has the original 2.5L, in-line 4 cylinder. I’m also using the original 5 speed manual transmission and don’t want to sacrifice using a manual.

How can I tell what engine will work in the bay. I want to haul a enclosed trailer, with some toys.

Any suggestions on some engine models?

• Bill

You are limited if you want to use the same transmission! There are no bell housing adapters that would mate a different engine. You could install most any rear wheel drive v-6 or small block v-8 as long as you get an engine/transmission designed to go together. The conversion will be expensive and may not be worth it.

After 30+ years of service, you want to dump it?

The stock transmission almost certainly wasn't designed to handle much more power/torque or towing load than the original engine was rated for in the truck. I wouldn't even consider swapping the engine to something bigger without also swapping in a beefier transmission or you're going to spend into 4-figures on an engine swap that promptly ruins that stock transmission, leaving you with a broken old truck that will be worth next to nothing even though you've just sunk into the $1000's into it for a motor swap.

Now there are certainly manual transmissions you could also swap in while putting a V6 or V8 in the truck, but they'll add significant cost and complexity to the build. I personally wouldn't spend what is now probably into the $3000+ range (minimum) on an engine AND trans swap in a truck that is old but in no way a classic because you will likely never, ever get your money back on the "investment".

If I were you, I'd leave the truck alone, buy something else that was designed and rated from the factory to tow whatever you want to tow, and either sell the '86 truck or keep it around to use when you don't want to drive the bigger truck/vehicle you'll need to buy to tow an enclosed trailer around. Good luck.

Any auto recycler can look up which motors can be used. Thy also have a nation wide search engine to find the motor you need.

Engine swap for just hauling? Schit for the money you pay for that swap you could just purchase you an old f150 with a straight 6.

Source(s): nothing
  • .

You should only be doing engine swaps on classic cars because with a vehicle that's almost 34 years old, you have no idea what else would go wrong with it. You can buy a 2001 Dakota for about 1500 dollars.

How much will it cost to replace the engine?

• Geo

Sell it buy something with at least a 6 cylinder. Way too much money to swap a bigger engine in that.