Why does he care if I smoke?

He keeps telling me I smoke too much, and that I'll die if I keep smoking like that.

I'm aware of the health risks, but it doesn't effect him as long as I don't smoke near him...

I understand if I'm smoking near or around non smokers, I make an effort to keep distance from people when I smoke. (unless they're smoking too)

So why would he dare what I do?

Maybe because it's not good for health.

It better not be because he loves you or cares about you because loving someone is not a reason to care that someone smokes

Probably because he cares but my girlfriend smokes a lot (Mayfair) and I don't mind standing next to her when she is smoking. Sometimes I even tell her to blow her smoke across me.

You can smoke if you want, but you probably stink to high heaven after you've finished smoking. I know i do. I switched to electronic cigarettes - i smoke Lychee brand.

Anyway, once in a while i will smoke a regular cigarette or two and i REEK! I can't even stand smelling myself!

• Eva

He may not want you to become ill. He may be tired of the stench on your clothes, hair, and breath.

• Steve

He doesn’t want you destroying your body. It’s pretty simple.

He might love you. You hurting yourself does affect him.

You’re lucky he cares.

I started smoking at 20 and now I'm 86.

My husband's lived with me for 63 years and he's 90 years old.

From your description it appears that *he* cares about your health and it is frustrating to him that you do not take better care of your respiratory system.

I do not believe i can relate to either but see if you can talk  this out, explain to him why you smoke and that his constant comments on the subject are very grating.

Maybe because he cares about you. Is that so hard to believe? I don't know who this person is to you but if you want to keep him around at least you could try not being so defiant of his concern.

Maybe he cares about your health. Or your breath.