In the song I Shot The Sheriff by Bob Marley why did they think he shot the deputy?

In the song he is being accused of shooting the deputy and he denies this but he does not deny shooting the sheriff. In the beginning of the song he says they are trying to bring him in guilty of killing a deputy. Then later in the song he says freedom came his way one day and as he was leaving town he saw Sheriff John Brown aiming to shoot him down. So in self defense he shoots the sheriff. So my theory is that he was wrongfully accused of shooting the deputy, jailed and later released. And then later as he is leaving town the sheriff tries to shoot him so he kills the sheriff in self defense. But what do you think? Do you think the deputy had been killed previously or that both the sheriff and deputy were killed during the same incident? I know it's just a song but it tells a story and I think its fun to pick these things apart some times

i've thought about this before and considered both of the theories you put forward as well as a third. perhaps deputy john brown misrepresented himself as a sheriff during the incident. but i think it is probably that he was originally in jail for shooting the deputy, escaped or was released and shot the sheriff.

• mars

Bob may have explained the meaning. It sounds like an old "Rocksteady" theme.

because he was black

• Diana

Someone mentioned that Brown was a reference to Cocaine. So, the song is probably a pun that means that a guy was shooting up on Cocaine.

Per Marley, the songwriter, the sheriff is on the hunt for the main character and the deputy ends up dead for other reasons.

I think you wasted a whole lot of time over some song lyrics about a figment of Bob Marley's imagination.

The deputy was sleeping with his wife.

• gerald

songs are like art some is simple some some is a picture you see in your own individual way and its doing exactly what he wanted after all he was an artist