Have you ever heard of tattooing a twin?

When my friend was pregnant with twins, it was suggested that if they were identical (they weren’t) to tattoo a small mark (like a dot) on the bottom of one of the twins to be able to tell them apart. 

I honestly don’t know what to think about this. 

What’s your take?

it fine.. ID put a small dot on one of them ears so I wouldn't have to look at their asss to know who is who.. Put it someplace where you can see it and it doesn't have to be big ... just a tiny little dot etc. maybe at the corner of eye, lip, cheek etc... 

• Edna

Tattooing a dot on a heel isn't necessary. The strange thing is:  Parents are always, if by nothing more than instinct, going to be able to tell their children apart, even if they are identical twins. If nothing else: The twins may look alike but, 9 times out of 10, they won't act alike -  not even when they're infants. One might sleep more than the other; one might eat more than the other; one might cry more than the other, etc. Parents soon learn how to tell them apart.

• alan P

I have identical twin grand daughters and a nurse suggested when they were born that they should be tattooed to distinguish them.  One is slightly smaller than the other and when they stand side by side it is easy to tell from differences in their faces.  Small babies are given name tags when they are born anyway.  If twins are so alike that there is room for confusion then temporary tags, markers or nail varnish could be used until the parents become accustomed to their differences.

• GEEGEE

No and it would be impossible to get someone to do it. Paint a toenail on one twin, and keep it painted until you can tell them apart.

Bad idea. A tattoo? Come on

• Logan

It's ridiculous, just colour code them like the rest of twin parents do or dress them the same and mix them up.

Of course there are hundreds of people who's first thought once they've had twins was to get them tattooed. Obviously

Yes. Growing up I was friends with identical triplets. The doctor who delivered them tattooed them so the parents wouldn't get them mixed up. We were born in the mid 1970s. The firstborn had one tiny dot on her butt, the second one had two and the third had three. The dots actually looked more like a mole or birthmark.

• GB

Where do you live? In the UK, it's illegal to tattoo anyone under the age of 18.

I think it's disgusting and selfish.

I think it's smart.