What is interesting about gut bacteria?

Or surprising? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Best answer

They are linked with your brain and can affect things like your mood. I was also surprised to find out that many organs have bacteria, not just in your gut. I'm even more surprised about the organisms in your gut that aren't bacteria. Apparently humans co-evolved with many organisms. The reason most people can digest gluten is because of a certain type of hookworm that tells our body to chill out around gluten. Those with Celiac disease lack this parasite. Fecal transplants ftw...

• 1 month ago

Shortage leads to B12 deficiency. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Everyone has unique gut microbiome i.e the one next to other has not same bacterial profile. Few one estimates says that each human has a pound of bacteria living in their guts at all times,but don't worry that's good thing at all (Huuh) !!

The good news is that our gut bacteria responds quickly to positive healthy habits like diet, exercise, supplementation, and body-mind practices.

Any small changes you make will have a positive effect.

• 1 month ago

The function of the appendix is unknown. One theory is that the appendix acts as a storehouse for good bacteria, “rebooting” the digestive system after diarrheal illnesses. Other experts believe the appendix is just a useless remnant from our evolutionary past.

Appendix (Anatomy): Appendix Picture, Location, Definition - WebMD

https://www.webmd.com › digestive-disorders › picture-of-the-appendix

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I read, or saw some video recently, that declared that the quantity (number of cells) of bacteria in the human body is about the same as the quantity of cells in the remainder of the body, so we are, in effect, half bacteria. I cannot say what proportion of the bacteria is confined to the gut, but I am pretty sure that the gut is the primary location for bacteria (is where the largest number of bacteria resides).

Whatever the actual number and distribution is, the fact that the gut has even close to the same number of not-human cells as human cells is astonishing, even if the actual ratio is 100 human cells to gut bacteria cells. still in the same order of magnitude: LOTS.

• 1 month ago

They can be transplanted from one person to another via feces.

• 1 month ago

Their affect on the mind is interesting. For example, fecal transplants can lower the symptoms of autism. Check it out.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.