Could I stay in Miami on a c-1 transit visa for 3 days before I get on a cruise .  I'll be going onward to another country....one way.?

Since we are traveling with a toddler and would by that time need a rest from a 23 hour flight. I just thought it would be less stressful to have a few days to rest us before running for the boat...sounds reasonable to me.

The max duration on that visa type is 29 days so if you state your intent upon entry to the US and can show your cruise vouchers with departure date you'll probably be fine.

• Sammys11 month agoReport

Upon entry? we will have a C-1 visa for my wife...all we're asking for is a reasonable layover where we can get some sleep after a 23 hr. flight.

No.  You would need to immediately continue on to the next form of transport out of the US.  To stay any length of time other than immediate transfer you would need to apply for a different visa.