About Molding. What is the stuff beneath a crown?

Hi, I have a question about a molding. 

I can see a big crown in this picture, however is it a crown itself or other molding is down below?

If that so, I want to know the name of molding.

Best regards. Thank you.

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Best answer

They are based on classical moldings - so the top part that meets the ceiling is the cornice, the flat area below it is the frieze and the lower edge is the architrave. Sometimes the architrave is in the form of a picture rail, but not here by the looks of it.

• Yoichiro4 weeks agoReport

Thanks for your comment. Your explanation was very helpful to understand how they form and that was also exactly what I wanted to know.

• John
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
  • Jason
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Sometimes they call it dental work

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

I believe it's properly spelled as "dentil", referring to the "toothed" parts of architectural elements, rather than to actual teeth.

• y
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If it is old and original, it could have been milled out of one or two pieces. That would be some very expensive stuff to recreate. Now a days that is often done through layers of boards and multiple types of molding(there is another name that I am blanking in). It takes a decent hand and vision to be able to put it all together.

Thank you for your comment. I didn't know much about how it organized. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The lower part of the wall is called the wainscot.   The lower part of the upper molding is just part of the trim (my guess).  Same for the baseboard. Nice house.

Thank you for your comment and information. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.