Andrew asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 month ago

Is Japan becoming Islamic?

Turkish immigrants are increasing in number and there has been an increasing trend of Indonesian workers there, but apart from the presence of Muslim foreigners, Japan is not becoming Islamic at all. Most of the mosques are visited by foreigners or Japanese whose fathers are Muslim foreigners.

I is absolutely impossible.

It's becoming more christian.

Shucks no! how should we know?

Not even slightly.

Of course, not. Japan is not accepting many Muslims, yet.

• A.J.

No. There are about 200,000 Muslims in almost 127 million people. This is my view of Japan, after several visits from the 1980's to about 2009, plus current stats.

The Japanese people are now mostly spiritual. In a survey, they answered "yes" to more religions than people. In other words, more religion check-marks than number of questionaires. It gives strange answers to surveys about religion because it depends upon how the question is asked.

One survey in 2017 showed:

Shintoism 84%

Buddhism 71%

Atheism (Atheist) 54%

Christianity 2%Other 8%

Religion in Japan is characterized by syncretism; meaning, most people identify with more than one religion and sometimes combine more than two and the religions are interwoven.

Religion in daily life:

50% Not important

38% a little important

9% important

3% very important

Religiosity is the key to understanding religion in Japan today.

Japan allows individuality in religion and as a whole, does not consider it important. They don't actively keep out Muslims, nor actively prevent its practice. It's difficult to describe the situation as I visited on business several times over 30 years. I am a caucasian of the USA, and was introduced by a high level local caucasian executive in the company, and was treated with honor and interest. People there that I worked with remotely-only were interested in my family and pets and hobbies. They can be very welcoming and friendly if you are put in the right mindset to start.

Without the introduction, I would be an outsider, a curiosity not to interact with much personally. That keeps Muslims away because there is no real integration and many Muslims are devout, making them isolated. They are not accommodating to religious requests because few consider it important.

My manager on one visit was a black man, and people tended to stare as unusual. There was no active aggression at all and after being there the people around him acclimated. Probably now by 2019, the people in cities are more aware and knowledgeable of the world.

Each area of the world has a different culture and unless able to observe it without emotions, you may not see it. In both China and Japan around Christmas time a visitor may see decorated shopping malls. It's not that there are a lot of Christians. They just like the way it looks and think some traditions are fun.

In China, I found they love to visit amusement parks with rides and games.

I don't think Disney owns the Disneyland in Tokyo. It's a license. It was very successful and still an attraction.

Japanese are smarter than most indos..... 

• Eastside Guz

The same user (or troll) that asked Is Mexico becoming more Islamic or am I wrong....

I hope so..., Islam is my religion and soon Islam will conquer the world.

Ah so, most dishonorable