Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Is this normal? Is he ok?

My little brother is 14 and he has epilepsy (he was diagnosed late last year so we're still learning). When he has a seizure it usually hard to tell because he gets quiet and just stares. Sometimes he might fall over or collapse but not always.

This morning he had 2 (he only usually has 1 once every 2-3months). The 1st one was his normal kind but he just had another one that was different than usual. He was convulsing a lot like they do in movies. He's never had a seizure like that and never had 2 in one day.

It lasted longer than his usual ones too but it did stop. He's been asleep since. (Like 2.5hrs). We didnt go to school today bc he wasnt feeling well and now I'm a bit worried that something might be seriously wrong.

I dont want to overreact either, but the whole morning has been weird and that 2nd seizure was probably the scariest thing I've ever witnessed. I was just trying to stay calm but as soon as he was ok, I went I the bathroom and cried my eyes out.

I'm just wondering if this is ok and happens sometimes with epileptics or if I should just call my parents home. I didnt want to freak them out or have them rush back over nothing.

I opted to stay home today a) bc I offered to stay home and to make sure he was ok and b) bc I actually didnt feel like going today.

So your brother had a grand mal instead of a petit mal seizure this morning. He needs to see the doctor ASAP, and in fact, you should probably have called 911 and had EMS come and get him. Anytime someone with known seizures suddenly has an escalation ( such as what you witnessed today) it's considered to be a medical emergency. I would get off the computer, and go call your parents at work, and tell them you are calling an ambulance for your brother. Because what happened was not normal, and the fact that he's been asleep for so long is of concern too. He may have suffered some type of internal damage during the seizure, and if so, then he should be evaluated by a doctor.

• Linda

It is normal to have seizures when you have epilepsy. I think it is caring that you stayed home with him. Talk to your parents if you are concerned or worried about him. As long as he takes his meds he should be okay.

You need to sit with your parents and ask them what you're supposed to do. If they're leaving you at home and in charge of the situation they have to arm you with what you need to know. But when in doubt never hesitate to call an ambulance. Better safe than sorry as your brother works through the early stages of his diagnoses and the months of pharmaceutical experimentation until his doctors find the right meds that work for him.

• zipper

The condition is getting worse, either his meds are not strong enough or he needs something else.

It would be better to call your parents and everything be okay than to not call them and his situation worsen. Don't you need to put something in his mouth to keep him from chewing on his tongue?

• Ace Shorty

Where in the world did you see where I said swallow their tongue? You need glasses or a new set of them.

Epilepsy is not. Normal. So... No. It's not normal.

Source(s): I have epilepsy.

Have a discussion with your parents. Tell them you are concerned. Mention that you would like to be able to call them when you witness an episode so they can stay informed and help you guide him through it. They probably can tell you a lot to relieve your mind. Your reaction is normal. You are a good sibling.

• Orla C

Your parents need to know what's going on, hon. You should tell them. He is their responsibility, not yours.

How is it that YOU are looking after him? You should be in school yourself, hon.

i would call your parents and tell them about it

• art

why did you stay off school, there is nothing wrong with you, you could have walked to school or got a bus