Power drill that uses a battery. How to store them over winter?

I am moving up north and putting my stuff in storage. I have set of power tools. A drill a saw and a saw saw and a flash light 2 batterys came with them and they will go in the storage because I dont have enouf room where I am staying at to keep them inside. Now will they be ok to keep out side in a storage all winter long? Will it mess up the batteries they will be in the bag they came in and in a storage locker so that might keep them just a little warmer not much but a little 

• Dale-E

My quick answer is that they will be OK unless you are planning to store them in an Arctic climate. Other wise, typical USA mainland temperatures will be good for your storage plans.

• elhigh

Lithium ion batteries are perfectly safe in storage for a couple of years. Proof: my old flip cell phone, sitting in a drawer for four years. I turned it on last week, it still has 70% charge.

Just unplug the batteries from the tool and let them sit. They'll be fine. I do recommend, however, that if they will be exposed to freezing temperatures you make the effort to move them into a heated space. They don't need to be kept warm, but I recommend against temperature extremes like subfreezing temps.

Removing the batteries from the tools is best. The batteries should EASILY fit in the space of a pair of shoes. I would take those indoors wherever you are sleeping.

• bond

They will survive. But sub-freezing temps do weaken most batteries to an extent.

It's best to remove the batteries and keep them and their chargers in your home.

In outside storage, there's always the possibility that they will freeze during the cold weather. And the formation of internal ice crystals will destroy a battery.

If you have to store them in the cold, make sure they're not in the tool (if you can) and charge them fully before storage. A fully charged battery is less likely to freeze than one that's discharged.

• marty

Seems mine are fine. I have some in a shed that I stored 2 years ago and forgot until I seen this question. I just went and checked and they still have power. These are lithium batteries. It gets below zero here in winter. I doubt you'll have problems storing them if they stay dry.