Is it safe to use my laptop ? ?

My compaq laptop fan has been making loud whirling sounds I think the fan might need to be either cleaned or replace which probably won't happen for a while because I may never have the time to do it or find someone to do it. I've had it for 13 or 14 years it's working well but the fan is making me nervous. The other day I was using it to sync iTunes music the fan was really loud I was nervous it would either blow up or ruin my iPod. I got 3 laptops it's the only one I can get iTunes because the others are Chromebook which I can't get iTunes on. It's not getting hot when I use it which is a good thing. Is it safe to use until I can get it fixed ? 

• A.J.

Laptops of today are lucky to get 5 years out of them. 13 years old may not be compatible to software that checks temperatures. One of the fans has worn and eventually, the laptop should go into overheat and shut down. When cooled, it starts again until it shuts down. It's too old to repair.

You should have a temperature checker to know what is happening, but they may not work because the laptop has few sensors at that age.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download

I'd be careful about using it. 13 to 14 years is a long life for any computer, sounds like you need to replace it.

As you have a 13 years old Laptop, so you have to discuss about them with the computer supporter, they can only help you in it. Good Luck!

• keerok

If you love your laptop, you shall have it be fixed. Ignoring the problem or delaying repair means you just don't care.

• Sparky

It sounds like it could overheat easily.

You should get it cleaned.

• Dave

What is that, Windows Vista or XP? Your laptop is a huge security risk if you use it online. Get a new one.

• Mark

13 or 14 YEARS? That's longer than most people have cars. It's safe in the sense that it's not going to blow up in your face.

They can be noisy for ages before they totally fail.

When that happens they just stop with no drama. But the laptop will then quickly overheat if used for anything which uses a lot of processor power, such as gaming, photo or video editing, or complex spreadsheets.

Once it overheats most laptops will just shut themselves down to avoid damage.

A noisy workaround is to connect a vacuum cleaner to the fan outlet vent. But a replacement fan is the best fix and isn’t usually expensive.