Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

A question for multilingual people?

What language do you think in and which is your native tongue?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

nope........................

• It depends on my emotions so I tend to think in several languages, if that makes sense. My mother tongue is Farsi.

• 1 month ago

My native language is Dutch.My daily language for the past 61 years has been English and I also use Spanish every day.I think mostly in English.Sometimes Dutch words come to my mind and very often I think in Spanish as well.

• 1 month ago

I grew up speaking English and Greek, and then learned Spanish and Italian. When I'm with people who speak those languages, I think in them. When I'm alone I mostly think in Greek or English, but sometimes in Spanish or Italian. When I was a student doing research, I often had difficulty locating some article I wanted to reference because I couldn't remember which language I'd read it in.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Arabic is my native language.

• 1 month ago

Emglish is my native language, and when I'm aware of thinking in a language it's English. But every now and then I'll find a German or Russian or French word will pop up in my brain because it conveys the meaning better than its English equivalent.

• so i speak japanese, german, and english. sometimes ill think in english or german, but mainly japanese. i didnt learn german until i was 9, and english until i was 10;

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

questions about the answerer are not allowed on Y!A

I had thoughts before I could speak. I still sometimes have thoughts that I don't have words for. Don't you?

Source(s): Dutch, fluent in German, English and Esperanto, semifluent in French
    • meg1 month agoReport

Sorry question police 🚨👮🏼‍♀️

• 1 month ago

Although I was born in the United States and spoke English until I was 12, I found that the more I learned of French, Spanish and other languages, I often spent a lot of time practicing the language. For French, I could think in French and dreamed in French. For Spanish, I tried the same technique and found I could think in Spanish but didn't dream in that language.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Japanese, my mother tongue is English

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.