Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

A question for multilingual people?

What language do you think in and which is your native tongue?

nope........................

• It depends on my emotions so I tend to think in several languages, if that makes sense. My mother tongue is Farsi.

My native language is Dutch.My daily language for the past 61 years has been English and I also use Spanish every day.I think mostly in English.Sometimes Dutch words come to my mind and very often I think in Spanish as well.

I grew up speaking English and Greek, and then learned Spanish and Italian. When I'm with people who speak those languages, I think in them. When I'm alone I mostly think in Greek or English, but sometimes in Spanish or Italian. When I was a student doing research, I often had difficulty locating some article I wanted to reference because I couldn't remember which language I'd read it in.

Arabic is my native language.

Emglish is my native language, and when I'm aware of thinking in a language it's English. But every now and then I'll find a German or Russian or French word will pop up in my brain because it conveys the meaning better than its English equivalent.

• so i speak japanese, german, and english. sometimes ill think in english or german, but mainly japanese. i didnt learn german until i was 9, and english until i was 10;

• Zirp

questions about the answerer are not allowed on Y!A

I had thoughts before I could speak. I still sometimes have thoughts that I don't have words for. Don't you?

Source(s): Dutch, fluent in German, English and Esperanto, semifluent in French
    • meg1 month agoReport

Sorry question police 🚨👮🏼‍♀️

Although I was born in the United States and spoke English until I was 12, I found that the more I learned of French, Spanish and other languages, I often spent a lot of time practicing the language. For French, I could think in French and dreamed in French. For Spanish, I tried the same technique and found I could think in Spanish but didn't dream in that language.

Japanese, my mother tongue is English