Senior's Medical and Medicare benefits?

What is the process to move a senior citizen's Medical and Medicare benefits from Arizona to California? Would the senior citizen first need a California ID? Is the first step to change the address in the Social Security office? Do we need to go to Arizona to get the process started or it can be done remotely?

6 Answers

  • Edna
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    Nobody (regardless of their age) has to change their Social Security number or their address when they move from one state to another. Social Security is Federal, and it follows you, wherever you go.

    A senior citizen who is at least 65 and is receiving Medicare doesn't have to change his Medicare enrollment if they move from one state to another. Like Social Security, your Medicare enrollment is also Federal, and it follows you wherever you go.

    If you're receiving Medicare benefits, you can't also receive Medicaid on top of it. Medicaid is administered by the state and you must be a resident of the state to receive it. If you're receiving Medicare, you don't need Medicaid anyway.

    • Edna
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

      Judith Everyone is automatically enrolled in Medicare on their 65th birthday. You CANNOT be on Medicare and collect any Medicaid benefits. You're either one, or you're the other, but not BOTH. Medicaid does NOT pay what Medicare doesn't pay & it does NOT cover Medicare deductibles and copays.

  • Flower
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    If you are talking about Medi-Cal, thats for California only but beyond that, every state administers Medicaid independently and thats what Arizona has, Medicaid, known as AHCCCS. You apply to your county as you did with Medi-Cal in California. And they will decide if you are eligible by your income. For Medicare, you can phone them and give them your new address when you know it. No, you cannot apply for Medicaid by phone from California. Like every other state, you must reside in the state and county and show proof of that.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Depends on the kind of Medicare. If it's an advantage plan, you must include the plan sponsor in the conversation to move where his benefits are provided. Many advantage plans have strict rules about what doctor one can see, and generally a referral is required for specialist care. If the senior has medigap coverage, the plan must be notified, as is the case with part D (drug) coverage. If the Medicare is traditional Parts A and B, you only need to report the move to Medicare at MEDICARE.GOV.

  • 1 month ago

    Contact the Social Security Administration office where the SC lives. Because Medicare is a federal program is should be simply a matter of an address change. The SSA can tell you the process.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    The official websites will tell you what to do; you may be able to do it online.

  • .
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    go to local ssa office, start process

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.