Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Why are people here sooo obsessed with this book called Bible?

You know there are many other books out there...

Because it was written by the Holy Spirit (in the original languages of Hebrew and Greek).

Some prefer God's word to man's.

Who are you, by the way?

BECAUSE people want to know the truth and the only way to find it is the word of GOD found only in the book of truth.

Because it is the #1 best selling book in the world. I am also a HUGE Avengers movie fan for the same reason

• steve

It is not the best selling book at all. You find it for free in every hotel room in every Christian country. Why they are in hotels is beyond me. I am sure a lot of things that go on in hotel rooms the people involved are hardly likely to check the bible in the drawer to see if it is OK.

I suspect the obsession because it is quite possible one of the greatest works of fiction ever.

• jeff1 month agoReport

Repent because no one knows the time remember hell is eternal for the wicked and heaven for the believe of Christ is eternal

It’s actually a pretty good “book” in the estimation of many people. Whether you look at it as a religious document or simply consider its literary/philosophical value and undeniable influence on great works of art, etc. Personally, I wouldn’t say I’m obsessed with the “book” itself, but the ideas that came from the mind of Christ, if believed, are timeless and profound in their wisdom. And many of the other “books out there” you mention have been greatly influenced by this particular book in one way or another. Its ideas have been highly valued in American, English and world literature in general, world renowned art, music (Bach to rock) even Hollywood movies. All this put together might qualify as an (historical) “obsession”, but even if not, you have to admit that it’s hard to relegate this “book” to the trivial. So you seem to be in the minority in that view.. But that’s cool. I guess your opinion is valid as anybody else’s. Maybe even more so, because it’s yours.

its a best seller...............and free at all hotel and motel rooms

Which part of "Religion & Spirituality" don't you understand?

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian

Some Christians on this R&S site are viewed as being obsessed with the Bible, but not all. In fact, there are comparatively few when you consider the hundreds of thousands of people here who come from all different denominations. Often, a user who quotes from the Bible a lot will be viewed as 'obsessed'. I'm probably viewed that way but I only quote when the question would benefit from a direct quote. (But I also quote from a variety of other books, often scientific ones.)

All I will say is that once I came to understand the Bible in my mid-20s, it opened up for me the reality of what it means to be a Christian. The more I study the Bible, the deeper its meaning and significance becomes, for I view it as the word of God, inspired of the Holy Spirit, and that there is no authority higher than the Bible, when it comes to what Christians must believe. You should know that about a billion Catholics do not share that view and they are clearly not 'obsessed' with the Bible. Some Protestants are. And I make no apology for that!

• Norine1 month agoReport

(((ALL))) those roman catholic doctrines have been DEBUNKED with THE WORD OF GOD! "Ye worship ye know not what" (John 4:22) and "serve the devil" (I Cor 10:21)!

• yesmar

Yes, there are many books out there, but none of them have the "words of life" in them.