Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

How do I keep frozen burritos from cracking open when I heat them in a microwave oven?

It's hard to eat them when their filling is oozing all over the place.

Next time try heating them at 50% power so the tortilla does not dry out (as much) and the inside heats a bit slower.

Since microwaving cooks food from the inside first, and given the content, it’s unavoidable unless you choose to either bake them or undercook them in the microwave. Place them on a plate first, and let them set before eating and they may be less messy, though baking is best.

• denise

Maybe thaw them slowly before heating?

gently prick them with a fork before microwaving, so the steam has a place to vent without them cracking

Cut the power back to 50%, and double the time in the wave. The filling has more water and fat than the tortilla, so the inside is heating faster and expanding, busting up the still cold tortilla.

Good question. I wonder that too.