Where to live in the USA?

Hello. I currently live in southern Ohio. Right now, it's the fall. I absolutely love the chilly and sometimes rainy weather. But we get all 4 seasons here HARD. Summers get above 100 and humid and Winters can get below zero with wind chill. Is there anywhere that I could move that has weather that doesn't get extremely cold, but anything over 70 is too warm for me? So, 30 to 65 is perfect. Also, I'm politically conservative. I would like to live somewhere and meet someone with similar ideals. I also love the rain too. Also it would be nice to be in a smaller town or more rural area. I'm not very fond of large crowds or traffic. But then again, I wouldn't mind driving an hour or two to get to somewhere fun. Any ideas or suggestions or experiences? Criteria: Cool/cold rainy weather, politically conservative, rural to very small city population with possible driving distance to more urban areas. Thanks!

• Ann

Check out the Midwest--S. Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas are conservative. They have some tough weather in winter, but it comes and goes. The people in those states are nice and friendly. If I wasn't in my 80's, I might consider moving to one of those places. My family is all here in TX, and it's too hard to leave at this point in my life. I do recommend those places, however. The worst thing to watch out for is tornadoes in the spring.

The rainiest parts of the US are also some of the most politically liberal. But there's extreme political conservatism like you might find in Idaho and Montana and then there's just standard slightly to the right of center. I'm going to suggest the northern half of the part of the Delmarva Peninsula that belongs to the Commonwealth of Virginia. The rainfall's a little less than you'd like and the summer temps are slightly higher. But in 2016 that region did vote red.

There is nowhere in the U.S that can guarantee that narrow of a temperature swing.  The Pacific Northwest is probably the best bet, but you'll still get higher temperatures.  The farther inland you go, the more conservative the culture but also the greater the temperature range.  At the cost, the weather in Oregon and Washington is probably closest to what your want but the politics and culture probably aren't. 

San Francisco weather is rainy during winter months and doesn't usually get above 70 or below 40. It's just very crowded and liberal around the bay. Marin county has some small towns. The republican party is dead or irrelevant in or near San Francisco.

SE Alaska has the weather you want and is the most likely to have similar political leaning. Alaska is consistently a red state. SE Alaska is Juenau to Ketchikan along the western side of British Columbia. The problem with SE Alaska is it isn't easy to go anywhere, there are no roads that connect these communities together, you either fly or take a boat to go from town to town.

Western Oregon and western Washington also meet your weather criteria, but Oregon is a very liberal state - probably second to only Vermont in terms of left leaning. Washington is another liberal state. The eastern parts of Washington and Oregon are more conservative, but the weather won't meet your criteria. The cooler parts of both states are near the Pacific Ocean.

• MS

I agree that the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, maybe Northern California) would meet your weather preferences. Not so sure about your political preferences though.

Pacific northwest, or coastal Alaska. No one can guarantee exact high and low temperatures, but those are closest. I'm not going to suggest a specific town and I know nothing about where everyone is politically conservative.

Maybe eastern Oregon. The area where those wacko anti-government ranchers were sounds like your cuppa joe.

The part of Oregon where Malheur is pretty dry and doesn't get the rain the more westerly part of the state does. It also gets summer highs in the 90's so that isn't a place this guy would like (even if he might get on board with some of the politics there).

• Frank

The UK maybe...Northern Atlantic...keeps things cool in summer and "warm" in winter..