Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 8 months ago

How can I cheaply re-finish or color wooden furniture to my liking?

I just moved into a new apartment and my funds are low . I could not afford to purchase new furniture and select my own.

So furniture was donated to me . The pieces are a light brown oak finish. However I like very dark brown , espresso finish.

I have a coffee table and two end tables , a tv stand , a chest all which are light brown and I want them darker.

Please advise,

Please don't ruin the look of the furniture with paint. Instead, use Minwax PolyShades to darken the finish. It's a one-step stain and polyurethane...basically tinted polyurethane. It's available as brush-on or spray. I've found that brushing can leave streaks that require a couple of coats to fill. Spraying may give you better one-coat results. https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/one-step-stai...

• M.

Wait until you can afford what you like.  Then buy that.

Then sell the lighter furniture.

Too many people ruin furniture with paint and other things.

Paint the walls.

Get some espresso coloured paint for wood and paint everything. I always use a budget own brand, but others will swear by Annie Sloan or Rustoleum. Thoroughly clean and abrade all surfaces before painting and apply a coat of matt or satin polyurethane for protection. Most 'oak' pieces are not the genuine article, so trying to restain can be a problem, but if they are the real McCoy, I am rather fond of Arts and Crafts type dark oak, which might be an alternative to consider.