Savannah asked in PetsHorses · 4 weeks ago

Winter is approaching i live near ocast should i clip my horse i ride him often? If so how im thinking maybe a trace or irish?

i also dont want him to get too cold

I had a horse once, that would get very sweaty from a regular 45 min ride. He was ridden 4 or 5 times a week. It does get pretty cold where I live, and when he got sweaty it would take a long time to towel dry him and cool him out, so I could blanket him. What I did was a really modified trace clip. I only clipped the underside of his neck and his chest, and around the flanks. Since we were not showing or hunting, it was ok. It was also very effective in keeping the sweat levels down, and made it much easier to dry him, after a ride.

• Amber

That's taking quite a lot of hair off the horse, personally I've never believed in clipping horses in general let alone in winter time when they need there coats and can regulate their temperature. They can't do that with half their coat missing. It's up to you but I don't think it's effective.

• Snezzy

Ditto. We don't clip, but we don't show. Some classes (or some judges) may "require" clipping. We don't trim whiskers or ears, either.

Whether or not your horse needs to be clipped depends to a large extent on his activity level, Savannah. Are you an active show competitor who rides all winter? If so, then you may want to consider body clipping him. If, however, you only ride on a weekly or monthly basis, then a trace or hunter clip might be a better option. Regardless of which type of clip you do, remember that your horse will require blanketing, because he will be without the protection of his winter coat. You don't say where you are on the coast, or even which coast you live on, so it's hard for me to say what kind of blankets your hose will need.

Another thing you'll need to pay attention to if you clip is keeping weight on your horse. Is your horse a hard keeper or an easy keeper? The reason that matters is because horses generate heat by fermenting hay and other feedstuff in their hindgut. That's how they keep themselves warm when they live in wild herds. It's also the reason why horses are sometimes nicknamed "hay burners". Horses that are clipped will require more calories than horses that have their full coats, because they will lose heat faster and must compensate for this. So doing even a partial clip may very well mean that you'll spend more on hay and feed this winter than you would otherwise. Something to think about, for sure.