luz asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 4 weeks ago

1984: Quote Response #1  “The opposite of Love is not Hate. The opposite of Love is Control.”  part 1 of Orwell's 1984 .?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 days ago

They might be talking about how if you are in love, you become vulnerable

and have very little control over what happens. The other person may not

love you back, etc.

If everything is highly controlled and highly disciplined, it may be devoid of love.

The overly controlling government in "1984" was only concerned about their own

power, and not about the welfare of the people and how it affected them.

God lets us have free will because he loves us.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

"The opposite of Love is Control" ... Oh Laura, Release me.

Love has no opposite and does not need to be reciprocated to be love.

“We’ve been infected with this idea that love is an emotion only felt between two people. But love is universal. An energy. A contagious force. A gift. To offer money to a homeless man is to love. To save a worm from the sun is to love. To smile at a stranger is love. To be grateful, to be hopeful, to be brave, to be forgiving, to be proud, is to love.” ~ A.R. Lucas

Put your hand on your heart. You'll either feel it or you won't..

Source(s): The more you try to control something, the more it controls you.
  • 4 weeks ago

My response to this is that we can see the desire to control people you hate in the actions of today's Republicans. They want to ban abortion and defund organizations that provide birth control to women, so they clearly want to control whether women have sex. They want to control who we love, who we can marry, how we dress, how we behave ourselves, and many other aspects of our lives.

• 4 weeks ago

What exactly is your question? Could you please try speaking in complete sentences?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The opposite of love is indifference. Orwell didn't know what he was talking about.

• David B.
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Larry K.; I never said he was wrong about everything. When I said he didn't know what he was talking about that was only in the context of the quote.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.