Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 2 months ago

Is it allowed to just buy a boat and sail out of America to Europe or something?

Will the US coast guard hassle me?

To all yall who keep sayin regarded passport related answers, I’m not like u peasants, I already have a passport. I didn’t know If a license of some sort was needed or whatever, no one is getting best answer til I actually get a best answer

i bought yacht in states ...registered it with british small ships register think it cost about 75 pounds...took about three weeks to come back ,,then i sailed to cuba and anywhere else i wanted to go...reason you register it in your name is so you have a country flag on the back..if you enter another country without proper registration they will probably confiscate your boat ..so my advice is register it.if you are leaving country you bought it in..if you buy boat in states they will issue you a decal. 25bucks .a license to use the boat for 3 months then you must register it there or leave .if boat stays you will be charged the sales tax..  if you buy decal you do not have to pay sales tax.this three months is more than enough time for registration to come through..  fair winds   when you sail to another country some times [usually]they ask you for certificate of departure from where you left..can be awkward without the paperwork  ...

In USA even citizens now need a passport to enter the USA. If you planned to return, I'd stop at customs and find out the particulars of leaving and reentering.

I used to go to Canada with my boat regularly, decades ago. I just stepped onto the Canadian land, found a phone and reported my name and location and expected duration of visit.

When I left, I just went home.

But now, I'm sure you can't do it that way.

• Edna

If your boat has been Documented by the US Coast Guard as being a US vessel and is flying the US flag, you can sail it to Europe (assuming your boat is big enough to cross the ocean). Any boat that is big enough to sail to Europe MUST be Documented by the Coast Guard.

You're supposed to carry the offical Letters of Documentation on your boat at all times. It's your boat's official "passport" in a foreign country. It's not YOUR passport; it's your BOAT'S passport.

• JetDoc

Ask your mommy. Maybe she is smarter than you.

• Scott

Is it "allowed"? Well, nobody is going to stop you. The problem would be any foreign country you try to enter. No country on earth just allows foreigners to enter without proper authorization. 

• Edna

The poster has been TOLD that his boat must be documented by the US Coast Guard & carry its Letters of Documentation with it before it can enter a foreign port. The Documentation is the passport for the boat; it's not the passport for the person sailing the boat.

There is no law against leaving most countries. You would probably be noticed on radar at the country you are going to and its coast guard would stop you unless you had a passport and maybe a visa.

You can sail away with no problem. The problem lies with entering another country, which must be done at an official entry port with the proper identification, or you would be entering the country illegally (which is still important in most countries around the world).

• Vicki

You know, I've always wondered the same thing. Cause I live in Canada, and across the lake I'm closest to (Lake Ontario) is New York State and I always wondered if I bought a boat am I allowed to just sail over?

Not answer, basically me saying if you find out let me know.

You've got MY permission for whatever that's worth.

• Brian

Not really, no. And good luck gaining entry to another country without your stamped passport.