Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 4 weeks ago

What would happen if they Yellowstone super volcano erupted?

I’m not worried about it but am just curious.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

We would lose a beautiful National park.

• 3 weeks ago

Yellowstone is a super volcano. If the eruption was like earlier ones, it could trigger a global ice age.

• 4 weeks ago

That depends on the size of the eruption. It would at least be on the same level as Mt. St. Helens (VEI 5), and would ground flights and trigger air quality alerts. Hopefully it wouldn't kill too many people, though, since lahars aren't necessarily a danger with that volcano. A VEI 6 eruption could cause crop failure in the Dakotas. A VEI 7 eruption would trigger a volcanic winter for a few years, as well as wipe out most of Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas. A VEI 8 would be a super-eruption, and would wipe out most of North America, cause a decades-long volcanic winter, and induce famine worldwide.

• poldi2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

"if they Yellowstone" - who are "they"...?

I guess taking a few seconds to search online was too hard.

https://www.vox.com/2014/9/5/6108169/yellowstone-s...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Large-volume supervolcanic eruptions are also often associated with large igneous provinces, which can cover huge areas with lava and volcanic ash. These can cause long-lasting climate change (such as the triggering of a small ice age) and threaten species with extinction.

• 4 weeks ago

What if's make for a great fantasy beginning, I suppose you could make logic of anything you like.

Maybe inform USGS of this super volcano, I know they would love to hear about it.

• Atarah Derek
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

A supervolcano is any volcano known to be capable of a VEI 8 eruption. Yellowstone is known to be capable of this.

• In
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Mass extinction on a global scale rivaling the Chicxulub impact that wiped out the dinosaurs.

• Will
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Global dimming and half of the USA and Canada would become wastelands due to immediate ash falls

• 4 weeks ago

Most of the usa would disappear either under ash or other factors.Like flooding,earthquakes,fires.It would devastate our country.

• 4 weeks ago

Then there would be volcanic activity.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.