How come I have hepatitis C but didn't involve into any high risk behaviours??

My whole world crushed down me and I felt like as if I fell from the heavens when I found out the shocking truth when the test came back positive. I know that Hep C is a bloodborne pathogen but I haven't even had blood transfusions nor do I do drugs or crazy stuff like that. I'm not fond of having my personal hygiene stuff touched by others either. Eww no I don't share razors or clippers or anything. But what bugs me is that my parents think that I was involved in some promiscuous activity which clearly I haven't! I'm still a virgin and waiting for the right person and I know that Hep is strictly a blood borne virus. Something has me wondering though. How did I get it? Perhaps mosquitoes or I might have shaken hands with someone who had an open sore?

Please nice people help me..how can I overcome my feels of guilt and shame. I feel so "dirty," does hep c ruin my chances of ever finding someone

You don't state the circumstances under which you took the test and why you took the test which are important in evaluating the results. You also don't state if viral RNA testing was done to confirm antibody testing.

If you don't have symptoms and only have a positive antibody test then you need to have the viral RNA nucleic acid testing to confirm you have active HCV. It may be a false positive.

If you tested positive with confirmatory testing (NAT) then either now or down the road you will have the option of taking antiviral medication which has a 95% success rate in getting rid of the virus. The only problem is that it is expensive and so you might have to wait until you qualify for the treatment.

Forget about how you came down with it. That isn't important if you do have it.

• Tavy

My friend caught it from drinking from a glass she had not washed properly. Her friend had it.

Body piercings or tattoos are another method of transmission.

• kelvin

nope not true either as those places are sterile