Do you consider it OK to feed bread to ducks & other birds?

I do. Wild animals are in a constant fight to find food or die. Supplementing what they have available with left-over bread etc seems a good way of recycling uneaten food.

Did you know that the campaign to avoid giving bread to birds was cynically started by a bird seed manufacturer?

36 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Best answer

I have been feeding bread to the birds for years and the same birds come back year after year. I know they are the same birds as they all have individual markings. The RSPB are sponsored by bird food manufacturers so they are bound to promote it.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Only an idiot feeds bread to birds. They can eat it occasionally, but it's not good for their long-term health.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Why of course I do

• 1 month ago

A small amount of bread is not harmful as a supplement to their diet but bread in large amounts can actually kill. Never feed animals unless you know someone else isn't coming along after and feeding them more bread. It is areas where pond are popular that have the overfeed problem, but wild birds in your backyard it is just fine. I throw out the suet every year as that is what they need in deep winter. I have been getting back same birds every year, a Swan couple and some Canadian geese. 

• 1 month ago

I think Bread-ducks are really cute. I usually feed them to my granddaughter. Her favourite animal is the hippo.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's supposed to give them a bad stomach so I wouldn't do that nowadays, I have done years ago.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Look into what is best to feed them. Certainly it is OK to feed them something healthy to replace the natural food sources which humans have destroyed. Australia lets whole rivers full of fresh river water flow out into the ocean unimpeded instead of having the good sense to dam the rivers and flood their land, making it watered and fertile, so it is unlikely that they will be able to think through this one. Dull wits, you know.

• 1 month ago

No in Australia they Killed wild ducks by feeding them Bread there is now a sign at our local lagoon please dont feed bread to the Bird life

• armouror
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Cousin what has your answer got to do with feeding birds

• 1 month ago

Cheap white bread that has E numbers and too much salt & sugar in it, isn't only bad for wildlife, it's bad for humans too. It's better to give birds a bit of seeded wholemeal, or meal worms, which even humans can eat, if you cook them first.

• 1 month ago

It has always been one of the simple pleasures in life, taking toddlers, (family not random ones I hasten to add) to feed the ducks and watching the toddler then eat the bread and give the crusts to the ducks.

The local ducks have thrived on it for years, but I can see why there are objections. We are far more concerned with healthy eating these days and that includes the way we feed other species.

Not to mention polluting the water and attracting rats.

If we don’t routinely eat white bread and dripping any more, surely our avian friends deserve quinoa seeds too?

• Killmouseky
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

If you eat white bread, you're a moron. I made a promise to myself when I moved out by myself to NEVER eat that gluey rubbish again, & I never have.

• 1 month ago

Not wishing to sound racist but, white bread is not very good for the birds or humans for that matter, brown wholemeal is better.

Edit...it may well have been started by them but, it is a fact.

• Sir Prince Kenny
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

It's refined and processed wheat flour Zed, there is next to no goodness in it at all. It fills them yes but, then they stop looking for "real" food.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.