Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 4 weeks ago

Is it the parents or the school's responsibility to teach children how to read?

• John P

That might depend on the law where you live. Personally I think that the responsibility should be shared. Many children are ready for simple reading "help" (most likely given by parents) before they start formal school at the age of 5 years, or whatever the age is where you live.

As with many aspects of life which are touched at school in a child's early years, it is helpful if parents give some notions to the child before formal schooling. Nothing heavy-handed, simply showing what happens around in a way that interests the child.

I think It's the parents job but there's nothing wrong with the school pitching in.

• Suzy Q

I should hope the school does more than 'pitching in'. 

its cthulus job

let cthulu lead your child

teach your child da wae..

of cthulu

kids are stupid either ways, so if you're the parent, make sure to get the best value out of your money and let school do it.

I believe, irrespective of how good a school maybe in educating our children, the primary responsibility lie with parents in EVERYTHING.

We can not as parents shift all the responsibility to the schools. But schools should be seen as a BONUS augmenting our home responsibilities. It should be the responsibility of the parents to teach the children how to read or write.

If you are unable to do that yourself due to lack of time or knowledge, engage a private tutor. The school curriculum and time limits what the school and teach your child, that is why there is y lot of home work. if your child is not coming home with home work from school, then something is wrong.

Do you feel that your child is "your" responsibility? Parents are their child's FIRST TEACHER.

Teachers come and go, but parents are for LIFE! It is the parents responsibility to teach their child everything!

• Suzy Q

I would never limit my kids by presuming I CAN teach them 'everything'. 

It's both. Parents are a child's first teachers and role models, and what they say and do during the child's earliest years lays the foundation for what will follow throughout their entire lives. And responsible parents make sure to introduce their children to books and reading well before the children start school. It is also well documented that the first few years of a child's life is when their developing brains are most receptive to learning new and different languages. Many countries around the world recognize this, and they hold language classes for preschoolers because of it. One example of this is France, where children start school at age 3 by law. They start learning English and other languages during their first two years of school.

Both. If the parents do not take an active role in their child's education, the child will suffer.

The school's, but the parents are responsible for supporting the school programs at home. In California the schools test the reading skills of the elementary school students as they enter a new grade and as they leave that grade. That's to ensure the students are in fact learning to read at a higher level of proficiency each grade.

And that doesn't always happen unfortunately. My son read at fourth grade level going into the third grade. Great...but then he tested at the second grade level when leaving the third grade. Not so great.

His teacher was so impressed with my son's reading skills at the beginning of the term that she never called on him to read in class again. In fact she accidentally locked him out of the building after recess on one occasion. She failed to take roll call when they got back in the classroom.

My wife and I took my son out of public school. From the fourth grade on he went to and graduated from private schools...including HS and two universities. And this was all begun when the Oakland public schools failed to teach my son how to read. And as his parents, we put our son into private school where he did learn to read (and write).

• David

Both of course.