Can you get an oil change if your car overheats?

My car recently started overheating and noticed that it’s time for it to have an oil change. Can I get an oil change safely without the shop causing any damage if it overheats? Or in other words can I get an oil change if the car overheats? It hasn’t overheated in a while but if left on in idle for a period of time then it starts to overheat. 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yeah, it can happen. But you are not on the rack first. Others are there before you having their oil changed, so you got to wait your turn.  Meaning shut the engine off because it will over overheat.  Oil change guys do not like to change sizzling hot oil.(they do have skin they would like to keep)

.Your sense of priorities is all wrong. The overheating is A MAJOR problem, not the due oil change.  Tell them there, they know more about cars than you do and maybe some greaser knows what to check. They see many makes of cars(even your mystery car)so have to be in the engine bay in order to pour in more oil from the top.  Also they take off the oil filter in some cases from ABOVE.because it is easier.

.Usually for an engine to overheat the fan is not rotating.  If it is the older cars a broken FAN BELT is kind of obvious...because it is GONE.

.IF your mystery car is newer, then the fan is electric.  There may be a fusible link that has burnt through or a wire is not making a connection to the temperature relay or the relay is dead. They can only see if the wire is connected, or if the radiator has paper or dirt covering it in a thick layer(which will not allow the air through to cool the rad.  They can also check your coolant level. If it is low, then WHY DO YOU WANT A WATER COOLED MOTOR if you drive an air cooled one?  In your case it overheats because it was designed to have coolant cooling it.  Is that so hard to check before you start the car?  It is like checking to see you have air in all the tires B4 you even start the car.  Guessing you don't do that either.  Maybe another reason for overheating is you are rolling on nearly flat tires(it takes more gas to make it roll...more gas means more heat= overheating)  Have you seen the neighborhood cat lately? No? It could be on the grill of your car blocking air flow.  Maybe LOOK?

There is no such thing as hydraulic fan system. It is mechanical(fan belt) or electric motor.

The original fan can last the life of the car(40+ years)Fan belt can break in 7 years.

"I need the solenoid to stop the overheatin"

That tells me it is an electric fan motor and you need the temperature sensor relay which you can buy at all automotive parts shops for a few bucks and can change it yourself if you have a wrench.  15 minute job. Maybe relay costs $10.?

Unless you got a Bugatti, then the relay is gonna cost $2000.(because you can afford a Bugatti($3 Million car) so the parts cost more....it is all relative.

Hydraulic fluid system is YOUR BRAKES or you Automatic transmission.

.  Neither have anything to do with your cooling system.

Whoever said you have a hydraulic fan system was pulling your leg.

• don r
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Changing the oil won't be affected, but extended idling and subsequent overheating can damage the engine. Make sure the radiator is full while the engine is cold. Check the radiator fan to make sure it comes on and off like it should. If it doesn't come on, usually that;s due to a bad fan relay- $15 plug n play part that easy to replace.

• 2 months ago

Get your oil changed after you make sure there is antifreeze in the radiator!

• Erik
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, the car will be off while they change the oil. While you're there, ask them why your car is overheating.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If you don't fix the overheating problem, you will not have to change the oil - ever.

• 2 months ago

The car overheating won't prevent you from changing the oil.

On the other hand, changing the oil won't fix the cause of overheating.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You should work on your prioritizing skills. It's far more important to fix the overheat issue

• The Plague
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

The original fan hasn’t been replaced. My car still has the original hydraulic fluid system in it which is considered a Gen1. In the Gen2’s the hydraulic fan system was replaced with an electric fan system. Since my car has the original hydraulic fan system I need the solenoid to stop the overheatin

• 2 months ago

The fact that it's time for an oil change is the least of your worries. Driving a vehicle with an overheating engine is the single best way to destroy the engine. Then it won't need an oil change

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You need to check your cooling system, make sure the fan is working and that it's not broken anywhere. Check the coolant levels.

The oil has nothing to do with the cooling system.

They can change the oil when the engine and everything cools down. You should also get the cooling system checked whilst your there.

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, but check out the reasons why it is over heating such as the coolant system.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.