Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Moving to Ireland, Dublin ... language?

hi, i'm a 19 year old english guy.

I'm from Manchester and I'm moving to Ireland in Dublin.

Should I learn Irish or is it okay if I only speak English?

people, boys, children among them speak English?, are schools in English? Is it all in English?

do you think I should learn Irish?

• Rico

No they only speak Chinese in Ireland

• Lôn

Some areas are more Irish speaking than others...this will show you where.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language

You'll love the accent of their English!

• Zirp

Of course you should learn Gaeilge if you can. Everybody may speak English, but why not learn the local language?

Most people in Ireland speak English as their first language. And if you're moving to a big city like Dublin, then most if not everybody speaks English there, so you can learn Irish if you want, but if you don't, I am sure you'll be fine.

Maybe learn some of the basic salutatory phrases if you want to get some culture points with the locals. E.g., "Dia duit" (hello), "Slan leat" (good bye), "Slainte" (cheers/good health) and stuff like that.

If you were really "from Manchester," you would know that.

No, practically everyone in Dublin speaks English and hardly knows any Irish. The Irish language is taught in schools in the same way as French and German are taught in English schools, and they have summer schools in the Gaeltacht where they only speak Irish, but on the whole they're only about as fluent in Irish as the average Sassenach is in French at best. That said, Irish is considered to have official priority over English so you may see street signs and the like in Irish in some places.

• Tavy

Fee people speak,Irish.

Of course they speak English........ You might want to learn something about the country, to earn some respect.

• Mark

Yes, English is spoken in Dublin, as a first language.