Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Moving to Ireland, Dublin ... language?

hi, i'm a 19 year old english guy.

I'm from Manchester and I'm moving to Ireland in Dublin.

Should I learn Irish or is it okay if I only speak English?

people, boys, children among them speak English?, are schools in English? Is it all in English?

do you think I should learn Irish?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Rico
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

No they only speak Chinese in Ireland

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Some areas are more Irish speaking than others...this will show you where.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You'll love the accent of their English!

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of course you should learn Gaeilge if you can. Everybody may speak English, but why not learn the local language?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Most people in Ireland speak English as their first language. And if you're moving to a big city like Dublin, then most if not everybody speaks English there, so you can learn Irish if you want, but if you don't, I am sure you'll be fine.

Maybe learn some of the basic salutatory phrases if you want to get some culture points with the locals. E.g., "Dia duit" (hello), "Slan leat" (good bye), "Slainte" (cheers/good health) and stuff like that.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you were really "from Manchester," you would know that.

• 1 month ago

No, practically everyone in Dublin speaks English and hardly knows any Irish. The Irish language is taught in schools in the same way as French and German are taught in English schools, and they have summer schools in the Gaeltacht where they only speak Irish, but on the whole they're only about as fluent in Irish as the average Sassenach is in French at best. That said, Irish is considered to have official priority over English so you may see street signs and the like in Irish in some places.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Fee people speak,Irish.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Of course they speak English........ You might want to learn something about the country, to earn some respect.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, English is spoken in Dublin, as a first language.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.