Begginer gardener questions?

I want to make a garden with fruits and vegetables. I plan to use raised garden beds and have a few questions.

1. I don’t really understand fertilizers and why people use them or manure. I’m wondering do you use manure ? Is it mandatory ? If not what do you use to substitue. Also what organic ( label of ingredients are all things i would know without having to look up) fertilizers could i use? 

2. I live in the midwest, and it’s mid october, when is the best time to begin planting?

3. What vegetables and fruits grow best in the Midwest ? 

4. How do you store your harvest?

• Ann

If you are planning to use raised garden beds, you do not need a lot of manure, as it will make your soil too "hot" and you won't get anything but greenery. You won't be planting anything during the dead of winter, but you can prepare your beds. Get some composted cotton burrs and some chicken manure (the best kind for vegetables). Also get some seaweed mixture. Buy some good dirt and mix in some potting soil. Then work in your nutrients. You might also work in a small bag of lava sand or green sand. Let this set up during the winter. In the early spring, plant your potatoes. Get a Farmer's Almanac and see what it says about when to plant for your region. It will tell you when to plant different things. You can also go to a nursery and look at their seeds or young plants. They can tell you what to grow in your region. Good luck!

If there's one in your area, consult with a government run agricultural extension office. I use mine occasionally, and it's a great place to get information.

Look on craigs list for people with manure. Rent a pick up and get lots. Compost it with hay (spoiled, also on Craig's list, vegetables the food stores throw out (not citrus), grass clippings. Or put manure on in layers and rototill it in.

Rodale and Mother Earth News are good sources.

1. Go to your nearest supermarket.

2. Buy some fruits and vegetables.

Hope this helped.

It is mid October. Soon you will have SNOW...or winter.

Spring is the only time for planting...so plenty of time for you to do some research in gardening books you can read online or at a public Library.  They cover all your questions...better than I could because they got pictures.

Dig the vegetable garden up now, go to Walmart and buy enough bags of manure to cover the area when the bags are laid out. Dig the ground up again and mix in the manure. You are finished for the winter. Next spring buy a tiller (on the back of a tractor is even better) and till up your dug up garden, add more manure and some13/13/13 fertilizer. Wait until it is warm enough and plant your vegies. Don't plant too much. You can do fruit tree, a couple that spring.

You use fertilizer or manure (manure is animal dung while fertilizer is decomposed plants) to give plants the nutrients that it needs. Over time, plants use up the nutrients in the dirt so it needs to be replenished. Fertilizers also alter the dirt so that it’s optimized for the crops that you’re growing. Different plants favor different conditions. Coffee plants prefer volcanic dirt so it grows on acidic dirt but not in alkaline dirt.

By Midwest, you mean the Bible Belt states like MO, NE, KS, OK, IA, etc. Best time to plant is when the weather starts to get warm, like March to April.

I used to grow tomatoes, watermelons, herbs like spearmint and basil, chili peppers when I lived in St. Louis.

We usually give them away when there’s too much for us or our neighbors would take them since we shared a garden.

1. manure is not mandatory, you can buy bags of soil from garden centres which you can mix with your garden soil.

2.the plants or seeds you buy will have a guide on when to sow/plant and when they will grow.