Someone asked in HealthOptical · 1 month ago

Can I take my contacts out, put them in the case, take a shower, and then put them back in?

I’m going to a Halloween party tonight and I’d like to go to the gym and shower beforehand. The problem is I’ve already got a pair of contacts in and I don’t want to waste another pair. I thought about showering with my contacts in and a pair of swim goggles covering my eyes but I couldn’t find an answer online if it was safe or not so I decided not to risk it. So now I’m wondering if I could put my lenses in the case take a shower and then put them back in. Would that be safe?

• Linda

Sure. I've done that many times. It's also okay to shower with them on if you keep your eyes closed.

I have showered with my contacts in for over 30 years! As long as you close your eyes when needed it isn't an issue!

Where did you get the totally misguided WRONG information that you cannot wear contacts in the shower? That is blatantly absurd. If you spray water on your face, just shut your eyes. Otherwise you can open your eyes as normal during the shower. There is NO need to remove contacts when taking a shower.

If for some silly reason you think you have to remove them, then yes, put them in the case, BUT, DO NOT allow them to sit in the case without being in a solution of contact lens storage solution, (saline). If the contacts are left in the case and not kept wet, they will dry into a deformed, brittle piece of plastic that WILL BREAK. You cannot put dry contacts into your eyes.

How on Earth did you ever even get contacts without being taught these things? You really should not even be wearing them if your knowledge is this lacking.

i would ask your eye doctor about this

• Sandy

You're making things way more difficult than you need to.

You can wear contacts in the shower if you keep your eyes closed while the water is in your face.

People do that all the time.

But if you want to, of course you can put them in the case, take your shower, then put them back in.

• Byrd

Why on earth are you even taking them out??

• Byrd

Of course you can you can swim with them