College music auditions?

I have to choose between two pieces to play for my college music auditions: “Jeux D’eau” by Ravel and “Un Sospiro” by Liszt. Which would be the better option?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best answer

From a musical/compositional viewpoint, the Ravel is far better.  But between that and the Liszt ( who said you have to choose between those 2?) you need to go with what you play best - no errors, fine sense of interpretive style, correct tempi, evidence of proper technique.  Both my husband and I have judged many hundreds - could be thousands? - of students in state-wide assessments.  Although they are allotted 15 minutes of so, we can pretty much separate the good players form the hackers and slobs  - or those who just had poor or far too little good teaching.  So gotta ask - what does YOUR OWN TEACHER advise?  taking opinions form random strangers here means one might be a degreed and experienced expert - and another is lying troll - or someone who just says snarky things (like the French-title dig from another responder - cearly NOT a trained pianist.)  work hard, do well - and tell us more about this audition.  Know all your scales, major and minor, with correct Hanon fingerlings?  Arpeggios?   Solid sight-reading skills?  WHEN is this audition?  Gods luck - write back.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Want to share with us, WHERE this audition is? And is this for a major in piano performance, music education, or what?

• Anonymous
    7 days ago

try playing deu rag deu by Armondo Ragu

• 3 weeks ago

mamianka,, she is correct

• mars
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Liszt..........

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i think either one would be okay

• 4 weeks ago

hello i dont know about this sought things follow your heart that the answer you have thankyou

• 4 weeks ago

The one you can play with the fewest mistakes.

• Yes
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Are you in a college in France or something?

• roberto
      Lv 6
      1 week agoReport

she is attending U of cowpatch Mt,pop 500

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.