Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 weeks ago

Why are pork and chicken never served rare?

salmonella you will do the big oof

poison poison poison

• Burgoo

i used to be in a prog rock jazz fusion band called rare pork

• Clive

Because most of us prefer not to be ill from our food, and these are the two meats most susceptible to infection. It's the real reason why Judaism and Islam both ban pork completely.

• denise

It just isnt served that way, I think its to be sure of no salmonella?

• Sparky

Because the bacteria that lives on the meat must be killed by cooking thoroughly or you can get very, very ill.

It's less of an issue than it used to be with pork - my generation grew up with the fear of getting trichinosis. Now, in the US, there are about 20 cases a year compared to 400 a year in the 40s-50s. I have cooked pork to medium, with the lightest trace of pink, and never had a problem.

But the salmonella bacterium seems to be very, very common, and chicken still needs to be cooked completely.

I have no problem cooking or eating pork that has a bit of pink to it. Pork that is gray throughout tends to be over cooked. I will cook to 145, maybe a bit less so the carry over cooking will bring it to 145

Chicken I will cook to 165.

• Katie

Tell that to the 60+ people at wedding (including the bride and groom) recently (September/October 2019) who were all SERIOUSLY ill after being served under cooked pork.

nope.........................

Risk of salmonella with chicken and parasitic worms with pork.