Can someone press charges against a prankster?

So I played this prank on my friend and now he’s pissed as all hell. I went downstairs and started acting like I couldn’t talk and wrote on a piece of paper that I thought I’d ruptured my vocal cords and needed to go to the ER. He took me and we sat there in line for several hours. When we finally got back to the doctor I said “Just kidding!” And walked out. He wants to sue the hell out of me now and I’m pissed that he would even want to do that. Like why can’t he grow up and take a joke? Is this even a suable offense?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There is no such thing as pressing charges. And it's not funny to waste several hours of his time.

You also need to learn the difference between civil and criminal law. Charges are only in criminal law. Suing is only in civil law.

• Katie J.1 month agoReport

There is a thing a pressing charges, dipshit. I’ve done it before. Btw, I thought it was hilarious and so did the doctor. Any other retarded comments you wanna make?

• 2 months ago

IF you meant can your friend SUE you then they lost little financially that they can sue for. Although if I was the friend and it was "hours" long wait I'd drop you off and tell you text me when you are ready. No reason for me to wait in the ER as well(totally get being a supportive friend, but hours is getting to long to me). Sure the ER will charge you a large price, but that isn't your friend's problem, that is a bill YOU will have to pay. I don't know why people are bringing that up as if it is relevant.

Well sounds like you’re a complete shitbag of a friend. You wouldn’t even wait for your friend!! It’s probably hard for you to imagine though, considering you probably don’t even have any friends!! And I’m not paying that ****, I gave a fake name, duh.

• 2 months ago

Only the DA can press charges.

The ER can file a civil lawsuit for the costs of processing your WASTING THEIR TIME.

Good lord Steven you sure are dumb. Linkus is right..I press charges all the time and I’m not a DA!

• 2 months ago

He has nothing to sue for.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

He certainly does. Time is money. You wasted his time with a fraudulent emergency.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I have no idea if your friend can sue, but I have no doubt that the ER bill is going to be horrendous -- they always are -- and since it wasn't a real medical emergency, your insurance won't cover it, so you'll have to pay it with your own money.

I gave a fake name, so jokes on their *** too!

• 2 months ago

Sure, especially these days.

Civil Lawsuits abound. Also:

The menu of possible Criminal charges

Vandalism,

Breach of the Peace,

Disturbing the Peace,

Threatening,

Malicious Mischief,

Malicious Intent,

Simple Assault

Theft of Services,

911 pranks are a Felony in many areas.

proper charge may differ by locality it is the DA's choice IF the coppers will investigate in the first place..

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Do you have any idea what a trip to the ER costs? I do hope you get the bill. (by the way it's hundreds to thousands of dollars)

"Sat there in line for several hours" is not a prank.

I don't believe you.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Katie, your mental health is visibly deteriorated by the day.

In real life you would pay for the ER visit no matter how long you were or weren't treated. I'd be more concerned about that.

CAN your pretend friend sue you for this pretend prank? Yes. What would the friend sue for? Emotional distress, financial loss.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

of course someone can press charges against anyone.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Either the DA or the US attorney (for federal charges) or other prosecutors can "press charges". In my county, even the police officers prosecute their own cases for violations and misdemeanors. A victim may decide whether or not to report a crime, but that's not the same as "pressing charges". 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.