Can someone press charges against a prankster?

So I played this prank on my friend and now he’s pissed as all hell. I went downstairs and started acting like I couldn’t talk and wrote on a piece of paper that I thought I’d ruptured my vocal cords and needed to go to the ER. He took me and we sat there in line for several hours. When we finally got back to the doctor I said “Just kidding!” And walked out. He wants to sue the hell out of me now and I’m pissed that he would even want to do that. Like why can’t he grow up and take a joke? Is this even a suable offense?

• Clive

There is no such thing as pressing charges. And it's not funny to waste several hours of his time.

You also need to learn the difference between civil and criminal law. Charges are only in criminal law. Suing is only in civil law.

IF you meant can your friend SUE you then they lost little financially that they can sue for. Although if I was the friend and it was "hours" long wait I'd drop you off and tell you text me when you are ready. No reason for me to wait in the ER as well(totally get being a supportive friend, but hours is getting to long to me). Sure the ER will charge you a large price, but that isn't your friend's problem, that is a bill YOU will have to pay. I don't know why people are bringing that up as if it is relevant.

Only the DA can press charges.

The ER can file a civil lawsuit for the costs of processing your WASTING THEIR TIME.

He has nothing to sue for.

I have no idea if your friend can sue, but I have no doubt that the ER bill is going to be horrendous -- they always are -- and since it wasn't a real medical emergency, your insurance won't cover it, so you'll have to pay it with your own money.

Sure, especially these days.

Civil Lawsuits abound. Also:

The menu of possible Criminal charges

Vandalism,

Breach of the Peace,

Disturbing the Peace,

Threatening,

Malicious Mischief,

Malicious Intent,

Simple Assault

Theft of Services,

911 pranks are a Felony in many areas.

proper charge may differ by locality it is the DA's choice IF the coppers will investigate in the first place..

Do you have any idea what a trip to the ER costs? I do hope you get the bill. (by the way it's hundreds to thousands of dollars)

"Sat there in line for several hours" is not a prank.

I don't believe you.

Katie, your mental health is visibly deteriorated by the day.

In real life you would pay for the ER visit no matter how long you were or weren't treated. I'd be more concerned about that.

CAN your pretend friend sue you for this pretend prank? Yes. What would the friend sue for? Emotional distress, financial loss.

• Rick B

of course someone can press charges against anyone.