Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

What do do if I am planning to turn right but there is a bicyclist coming up on the side?

Do I wait for the bicyclist to pass or do I leave a distance between them and the car?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • don r
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best answer

They are supposed to not pass you as you're signalling to turn. It's best to pull as far to the right as possible to keep bikes from entering your blind zone. You can wait for them to pass to avoid having them hit you from behind, which is their fault. Always signal your turns at least 100 ft before the turn. If they pull into your path, either you didn't signal, or they are reckless idiots who think they can sue you from the grave. Don't messup your car hitting them.

• 3 weeks ago

I'm assuming you mean the cyclist is coming up on the right side. If I were you, I'd turn on the turn signal and make the turn, if you make it to the corner before the cyclist does. If not, yield to the cyclist.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Use common sense. If way back, go.

If at all Close, wait. better than injury/fatality,

Do NOT turn in front, Then Brake. This is the Stupidest of all 3. Step on it, get Out of His Way.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is written in the Driver's Training Manual. It tells the truth.

Here, we JUST yank yer chain by giving you an answer that might be right, because we don't care if you don't pass because we are proverbial bass turds.

.  Haven't you figured that out?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You wait for him/her to pass, is it that hard to figure out, try some common sense next time.

• Periferalist
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

If Anonymous has the right of way, s/he's not obliged to let the cyclist pass, especially if the cyclist is trying to make an illegal right-side pass.

• 1 month ago

You use your judgement, and either execute the turn or wait. It depends on exactly where this "coming up" cyclist is, which you didn't say.

In any court, adult cyclists are considered to be about a 50-50 cross between vehicular traffic (elevated standard of care) and pedestrians (absolute morons). That means that while cyclists aren't held to the same standards as licensed drivers, they are expected to use basic logic and know at least the major rules of the road. Pedestrians are actually expected to step off the curb into heavy traffic without looking, cyclists are expected to be a little smarter. It's their inflated sense of entitlement that usually gets them into trouble.

If you execute a right turn and hear that crunch-thump of a cyclist hitting your front passenger door and sliding under your vehicle, you can assume that the cyclist didn't suddenly fall out of the sky beside you. If you execute most of your right turn and hear the clatter-scramble of a cyclist bouncing off your rear bumper, the cyclist can assume your vehicle didn't suddenly fall out of the sky. Cyclists mostly get a free pass under the law, but they're still expected to pay attention to what's in front of them.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You have to eyeball it. If you think you can make it before he gets there, go ahead. If not, slow down and let him go.

• 1 month ago

YOU WAIT!! What you are thinking of is know as a right hook. Making a right turn in front of a cyclist using the right lane or cycling lane.

Think of it as any other lane of traffic, you must yield before changing lanes in front of someone.

Source(s): Commuter Cyclist, former Cat III
    • Periferalist
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

I'm with don r. If you signal a right turn and a following cyclist tries to keep going along the right side as you make a legal turn, it's the fault of the cyclist.

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Do you want to kill someone? Or do you give the bicyclist some slack?

• 1 month ago

If you are indicating your intentions the cyclist should not be passing you on the inside.

However, as we all know cyclist live in a separate universe and very rarely do what they are supposed to do.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.