Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

How to deal with people who tell you private things about themselves ?

A girl I work with. She keeps telling me about her problems with her boyfriend. I listen to her as a gentleman, but she doesn’t need to tell me this and I don’t need to know. 

• PAMELA

So say "please do not tell me about your private life, i am not interested," that should shut her up

Maybe next time she starts tell her you've got work to do and you'll catch up with her later. Then just don't catch up with her later. Avoidance is key.

Bring a tape recorder next time, there may be other people that are very interested to hear

just tell her you dont want to talk about it

• Jerry

"Stop. Please don't tell me any more."

If that doesn't do it, add "This is embarrassing for me."

Walk away if you have to.

• `

Tell her "I don't feel like I'm helping you with your current situation. Perhaps you should talk to other people."

You need to set boundaries with people you know. It is you that has the power to determine what is and isn't acceptable, but you can't keep it a secret. Rather than being direct (which may come off as unfriendly) I suggest you change the subject each time she tries to bring up the personal affairs you don't wish to hear about. Good Luck.

You could ask her if she wanted advice or just someone to listen to her. If she says that she'd like advice, then u could give her some. Such as: Consider being open to meeting other guys. No one is asking her to sleep around. But so many young women just hang on to the first guy that they are dating and don't even think that the right guy might be the guy that they haven't dated yet.

Something you could say:  "I don't think you should be talking to me about your problems with your boyfriend.  It's kind of embarrassing to hear such personal confidences.  Maybe you'd be better off talking to a counselor or a pastor.  They're trained to help people in your situation."