my gas water heater doesn't have vacation mode. Can I just turn it to pilot when I turn the water off to the house?

I turn mine off to pilot when we are going to be gone for a while.

better to just turn it off, and then relight the pilot after you get back.

There is no such thing as Vacation mode.  If you ain't going to be home for awhile then look at the black pipe beside the hot water tank .  That is the gas line.  Now find the brass valve on the pipe.  It has a handle that at this moment runs parallel with the pipe.  That is the on position.  When you turn the valve 1/4 turn so it looks like a "T" Now the gas is not flowing.  Pilot light goes out...as there is no gas.

Now the tank will get cold eventually.  "Pilot"  is used for lighting the pilot according to the instructions posted on the tank.

It should ONLY be turned to pilot when LIGHTING the pilot.

You can turn the temperature to its lowest setting, or just turn the gas OFF.

• ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

just turn off the gas then re light the heater when you get back

• elhigh

If you're going to turn the water completely off, turn off the heater entirely.

• STEVEN F

oil field: Turning the heater off COMPLETELY is turning off the gas supply to the pilot.

• y

Should also have an off.

Put it on a low setting or just turn it off if you will be gone a long time. I would NOT turn it to "pilot." That is only for lighting the flame.

Source(s): gas HWT 30+ years (fyi, on my 3rd one)

Yes the heat from the pilot light should not be enough to evaporate the water that's in the tank