Anonymous

I failed my college midterm, can I ask for extra credit?

• Thomas

That is up to your professor if he or she is willing to accept extra credit because it gives them more papers to grade. When I was a professor, I only issued extra credit to "at-risk" students, so if you were failing my class or in jeopardy of failing.

If you failed the mid-term, that is indeed going to impact your grade tremendously so speak with your professor asap. If you aren't doing well and failed the midterm, and your professor does not think you're going to pass, then your only way out is to withdraw the class now and try again next or in another semester. A "W" is better than an "F".

You can always ask for extra credit. Go talk to your professor and let them know that you're worried about your grade and if there were any extenuating circumstances that led to your failing the midterm. They may not grant you anything, but it's not going to hurt to ask and make sure your professors know that you care. Even if they won't offer extra credit, perse, they may be able to offer advice or assistance for getting better scores in the future.

You CAN do whatever you want, but don't expect your request to be granted.  College isn't primary school.  In most college classes your expected to earn your grade from the standard assignments and assessments.  It is not ethical for a teacher to give one student a special extra credit project to redeem their grade. As a result, whatever is offered to you must be offered to ALL students of the class.  This increasing the professor's workload.  

Probably not. When my students ask for "extra credit", I tell them that this is not high school. You get a grade based on how much of the knowledge and skills you have learned in the class, not because of the amount of work you do. If you want to talk to your professor, ask what you can do to bring your grade up. Try to pretend that you're actually interested in learning- not just the grades. Professors are astonished and pleased when the rare student actually seems to want to learn something.

• ?

OF COURSE you can ask for extra credit. You may not get it, but you can't lose by asking.

Yes. You can also ask for fries with that. I do not know what sort of response you will get to either question

Make sure you wear the prettiest wig you can find, along with some makeup. And some kneepads. You'll have to prove that you really want to pass....