Anonymous

Does not working for a year when I was 23 hurt my chances for social security ?

When I was younger I took a year to travel 

A year isn't much, especially if your pay wasn't extraordinary, which makes the FICA deduction would have been minimal to average. A person can collect SS at the age of 62, and continue working, or wait till full retirement. You probably have a number of working years ahead of you, and you won't even notice a missing year if you have steady work that pays well.

It may reduce the amount you can collect by a tiny bit, but it's doubtful that one year without income at 23 is going to make a significant difference in your social security at age 70, assuming you work full time, permanent positions until then.

No, it doesn't. Just get a job and go back to work. You need to work a certain number of years to qualify for Social Security.

Won't make much difference, if any, as long as you work until you're at least 62

• You definitely set yourself back, we all make mistakes, but I don’t think it would hurt your chance for social security