DJC
DJC asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 month ago

How much taller are you in the morning than in the evening?

I've heard that spinal compression while you're awake and standing/sitting during the day causes you to gradually get shorter as the day goes on.  Likewise, they say spinal decompression when you're asleep and lying down causes you to gradually get taller through the night.

So, how much taller are you the moment right after you wake up (after 8 hours of sleep) than the moment right before you go to bed (after 16 waking hours)?  A full inch?  Half an inch?  A centimeter?

It varies from person to person.

• DJC

Your answer isn't great, but your source is, and that's why you get "best answer."

I lose about half an inch or so (from 6-4 to 6-3 and change). It is enough that sometimes I have to adjust the rear-view mirror in the car between morning and evening driving. There is definitely shrinkage over the day. Not constant in magnitude every day.

Some mornings I wake up really relaxed and stretched out and thus am really tall and have to watch my head where normally I do not (a chandelier in the hall is a particular problem).

On average about 1 cm.